Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:33:32 AM

Author Topic: Outputs problem  (Read 5777 times)

Outputs problem
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »
Hello, I bought a C10 BOB and a C36 relay board from CNC4PC that I'm using on Port 2 of the Smoothstepper, on Port 1 I'm using a DMM-Tech BOB because I'm using servos for my new CNC router.

I'm using a Smoothstepper because I use a laptop with Mach3 so I don't have LPT port.

My problem is that when Mach3 is running, the outputs are working fine, but when I shut down Mach3, the BOB's energizes the outputs. As soon as I boot Mach3 again, it shut the outputs off again and are working fine.

What's the problem?

It's very dangerous because the outputs are working always when I switch on the power supplies for the electronics, then with Mach3 working, the outputs are working well and I can switch on and off without problem, but when I shut down Mach3, the outputs are on again.

These are the BOB's:

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C10R10_USER_MANUAL_V2.pdf

http://www.dmm-tech.com/Files/Mach3Configuration_v01.022.pdf

Thanks

Juan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Outputs problem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »
Juan,

You should not be operating your setup in that manner. Please read the Mach manuals.

Always have Mach up and running BEFORE you switch on your machine and when shutting down switch off the machine BEFORE closing Mach.
What you describe is unsafe both for your machine and you.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »
Thanks for your help Tweakie.CNC,

The problem is that I'm using Smooth stepper and I use a 5V power supply to power it so if I don't switch on the electronics first, I get a smooth stepper error and I can't use Mach.

Juan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »
I understand that but you need to rearrange your system so that it can be started and shut down correctly. My SS gets its power from the computer but my machine is not switched on until the computer is running Mach correctly.

I fly model RC aircraft and I learnt the hard way as a kid to always switch the transmitter on before switching the model on and always switch the model off before switching the transmitter off.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
I will change that so the SS will be powered from the USB cable but I have another machine working with SS without charge pump and doesn't have this problem. Maybe the C10 board is working different.

I fly RC helicopters so maybe we are members of RCGroups too!!! :)

Thanks!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:50:07 AM »
Juan,

There was a video posted a while back where the USB was unplugged from a running machine which promptly took off and met with the mechanical stops at speed.  :'(

The C10 has a MkI and a MkII I believe so it could possibly be that.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »
I can't find the video. Do you have the link?

My C10 version is 10.1 so it's the last version.

Thanks

Juan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 05:12:58 AM »
Hi Juan

Sorry can't find the video either but the thread was rather dramatically entitled "Smooth Stepper kills man"
I remember being rather (well a lot really) un-sympathetic at the time but since then, and getting my own SS, I have realised just how easy it is for a USB connection to be accidentally disconnected. This in turn has made me fit emergency stops which disconnect power to the machine rather than just relying (as so many do) on the software polled 'e-stop' function. In my opinion you can never be too safety concious.

I will give the C10 issue more thought but curious one machine behaves OK and the other does not.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
Sorry can't find the video either but the thread was rather dramatically entitled "Smooth Stepper kills man"

It should have been titled 'Idiot who wired this machine kills a man!'.

Any machine 'should' be designed to not move if the connection to the controller is not present. For a small machine it is common to see the Chargepump signal to be used as an 'enable' so that the moving parts of the machine will not be powered until the chargepump signal is present. In fact that is what that signal was added to Mach. Of course your machine should have a properly wired EStop circuit as well.

For larger/faster machines you will see more interlocks and safety measures.

Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
Security is very important for CNC routers.

This is my second router and I didn't have this problem with a different BOB. I'm going to use a different BOB and of course a charge pump but C10 with Smootstepper is not working well.

This new router is working with servos and a little fast, 13500mm/min so I want electronics that work well. I wanted to use the C10 like a second BOB to have some more inputs and outputs.

I can't find that video, I'm very curious now.

Juan