Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:52:07 PM

Author Topic: using taig mill as lathe with mach3  (Read 4194 times)

using taig mill as lathe with mach3
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »
Does anyone know how to do this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S34fe7JHkSo

I have a taig mill and this is exactly what I've been wanting to do.

I have no idea how the software "knows" where the tooling is and how this will tie into lathe toolpath software.

John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: using taig mill as lathe with mach3
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
The software doest really need to know where the tools are its your code that is telling the machine to move to a position. Having said that you can open a Turn profile and set up the tool offsets for each tool in the tool table and when you call a tool it will automatically offset by the amount of X and Z that you have in the table. Y however would be programmed if there were differences between tools.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:59:48 AM »
Hi Hood.
So somewhere within the output software it will have to know where the material comes in contact with the tip of the tool. That is the offset you are referring to?
John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:59:32 AM »
Either the offsets will be set up for the different tools in the Lathe Tooltable or you will use your G Code to command the different positions. The lathe Tooltable can only offset for X and Z so your Y offset would need to be via G Code even if using the Tooltable for the other axis offsets.

If you think of it purely as a mill then think of drilling holes at specific points (where your tools would be) then you will see that commanding different X Y and Z positions would do exactly as the  video shows.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
The drilling holes explanation makes sense. Alot easier for me to visualize :)
thanks Hood,
Jiohn

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
Yes getting the idea in your head and suddenly it all makes sense, been there, done that and often takes a while  ;D
Hood