Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:32:56 AM

Author Topic: digitizing  (Read 3109 times)

digitizing
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:33:23 PM »
I am just beginning the digitizing probe (duplicating) learning curve.
I have been scouring the forums and have seen CopyCat mentioned
I have people asking me to duplicate existing and or make new handgun grips.
I know mach 3.042.040 has a digitizing wizard, but is that the best wizard for duplicating?
I need to first map the outline, then the contours.
Ideally, I would like to digitize a part and import to Aspire to tweak contouring.

Any assistance is appreciated !!!!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: digitizing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
The process starts with digitizing the grip in as many ways as it takes to get a complete profile of the part. That will give you a point file(point cloud) then it has to be converted into a STL or 3d profile. Then that is converted into a 3d g code cut file with a CAM that can do 3d work.

Then you cut a new Part and verify it is what you need.

There are ONLY a couple of digitizing routines available for mach3 

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
CopyCat could aquire and then produce the gcode to cut the grip profile. But then you could also take an accurate picture of the grip and go the CAD route to provide a dxf  file for use by CAM to the profile. But you need more than that to do the grips.

Laser scanning is another option but will require some investment.

Assume that you'll also want to checker them.

Have fun,
RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
You could use the exterior probing array to gather the outside profile and add it to the output of the Bed or nails routine to gather all the data. Just do not reset up the part to be probed between routines so the origin stays the same.

That would give you the outside profile and the displacement of the 3d portion of the grip.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:06:28 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:14:45 AM »
Hello,

I am apsolutely new in this story. I joined to the MACH forum today and I apsolutely do not know anything about
scanning in 3D. I know that there is a Wizard where DIgitizing is mentioned. Can anybody explain me where the file
during the digitizing procedure is stored and how I can use the file. Please help me - I do know nothing about that.