Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:23:15 AM

Author Topic: Considering a SS to get PC out of garage  (Read 3070 times)

Considering a SS to get PC out of garage
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:59 AM »
I am planning for a major upgrade to my current machine and am considering build out options while waiting for parts.

I currently use Mach3 with 2 parallel ports connected to a PC that lives in the garage with my router. I live in Florida and besides the temps getting a little warm there is also the issue of the PC sucking in all kinds of debrs (I realize I could filter the intakes to the PC).

I have already ordered a SuperPID for the rebuild but do not plan on feeding the tach back to the PC at this time.
I do plan on adding a 4th axis (rotation on the X or Y axis).

It would be nice to move the PC into the laundry room off of the garage and extend the video cable to a monitor in the garage and I was thinking of using one of the USB extenders to remote the keyboard, mouse, XBox controller RF reciever and the cable to the SS via a USB hub attached to the USB extender. Is that at all a viable option? Has anyone done something like this? Is there a better way to move the PC than this?

Thanks for any and all suggestions/input.

BobL.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Considering a SS to get PC out of garage
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
I would NOT recommend trying to extend all those cables, or using one of those KVM extenders. You would be far better off buying a small PC that has no fan. I picked up a small touch screen Shuttle for Newegg a few months ago for about $300. It runs Mach with the SmoothStepper just great.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Re: Considering a SS to get PC out of garage
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
Thanks Jeff.

Best to be safe.

Bob