Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:25:41 AM

Author Topic: VFD and motor voltages  (Read 22584 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: VFD and motor voltages
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 12:10:08 PM »
LOOK at the suggested MANF hookup they will SHOW the recommended placement of recommended components. Normally you only hook up single phase to single phase supplies(;-)  IF you hook single phase to a 3 phase source you best know what you are working with. there are MANY variables to content with. SOme can kill you when you are not looking. SOme will just let the magic SMOKE out of your controls.

Be safe, IF you do not know it for a FACT consult a trained and qualified electrician. (;-) TP
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »
One Other question on the same subject. With a single phase input into the vfd do you need to install a line reactor and EMI filter and how to you wire a single phase into a 3 phase line reactor?
Thanks

Most modern VFD's have harmonic distortion suppression now on the input, if fitting one at all I would be inclined to put a 3 phase reactor on the motor side, it is easier on both motor and drive, especially if using a non-vector rated motor.
Vector rated motors are designed with VFD use in mind.
N.

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
Gentlemen many thanks for the comments once again. Another long night with lots of reading, I found the instructions to line reactor I used on my router, and that had a part in there regarding using single phase input. According to the manual there are three inputs ABC you put your active through A and neutral through C and leave B blank. then input into the VFD. They also recommend to use a line reactor before any VFD.
Still debating on the using an EMI/RFI filter, I have one on the router but I also used shielded 3 phase cable, maybe just the Shielded cable will be enough?
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 10:38:55 PM »
Theo
I just got a motor from Royce Cross in SA that will run from a VFD as per all the discussion here, just go to their site and look at the specifications for the motors, or ring them they are very helpful. Freight to my place was around 27.00 and it arrived in three days.
Will

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »
Hi Will
I spoke to them through the week, and they are very good. I ended up buying a motor off Ebay (very Cheap) but the bloke could not tell me how many terminals it had coming out of the motor, I dont think he understood what I was asking. If its just got the three terminals up top it will be permanently wire in star or wye. I will have a go myself to convert to delta for 240v, if I stuff it, no real money lost just experience gained.
After talking to Hood I have got my eyes open for a large AC servo for the right price, until then either the motor I bought or I buy a new one from Royce Cross will have to do.
Hows your build going?
I've got all sorts of things coming for mine, ball screws, motors, inverters, opto's ect ect. should get here in one big lot and then the fun starts. The only thing I haven't organised yet is the power supply, the fella I bought my last ones from is no longer trading and I cant find anyone whos got the same sort. I am tossing up to wait a little longer for Peter Homman to get new stock in as he has one smaller then my previous ones but sufficient for the lathe or just to build one, The money comes to nearly the same.

Cheers
Theo
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 02:09:49 AM »
Theo
The lathe is in the works at the moment, I have the VFD and motor and am still researching the other bits and pieces, at the same time I am converting a Chinese quick CNC router to Mach 3, just about ready to get into it, I have all the bits and pieces here, I am just a bit unsure how to wire some of it up. The original setup used 24 volts for the limits and controls and I have an Opto 22 board and modules to put in so I can still use the 24 volt side of the system, just trying to work out how that fits into the system.
Will

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 02:38:22 AM »
Good luck with that Will, if you get stuck Ill try my best to help, You could also put in a post here there's some clue'y people on this site.
You can run the original 24 volts for your limits, just put it through a relay and then use your whatever your voltage is for your board, that's how mine works. I hope that doesn't sound too confusing.

Theo
Cheers
Katoh