Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:39:46 AM

Author Topic: Printer Port Problems  (Read 18113 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Printer Port Problems
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
As a simple test Reset the kernal speed down to 25 and retest.

IF nothing has changed in the XML then the motor tuning should have worked ok.

(;-) TP

Offline bajadave

•  61 61
  • If It isn't Broke, Then See How It Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
Kernal speed has always been 25, ive tried going higher for testing and it just got worse.... I lowered the Velocity and im all the way down to 30 before it stops stalling.. I used to run it at 85.. even when it is down to 30, it sounds terrible, Still have the grinding sound.... How do i check to voltage on the 25 pin card?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
HIYA DAVE,  To check the voltage you check from the pin that you have assigned to a function and one of the common pins 18-25.

The dir pin is a good one as it it steady enought to give a good readout.  Look at your pin setup for say X axis and look at the dir pin. Then look at the pinout for a DB25 port. select the pin that controls the Xaxis dir and one aof the Common(grnd) pins.

Next Jog one direction in mach on the X axis and then the other. The voltage should go UP in one direction and DOWN in the other. IF it is 5v +/- then it is good IF it is 3v +/- then it may cause trouble with the BOBs ouput.

I will find a picture of the pinout of the port OR maybe it is in the manual.

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:44:01 PM by BR549 »

Offline bajadave

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
getting 5.01- 5.03 on the meter on all of the dir pins....

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
GEE DAVE you sure are making this HARD (;-) LOLOLOL

HAVE you tried deleteing MACH and the driver and starting with a fresh reload??

IS this  a LPT ver or Smoothstepper ver?? Just thought I would ask

I will give it some more thought, (;-) TP

Offline bajadave

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
LOOOL I feel bad, but I played with this for days before posting the problem hoping someone would come up with more ideas where to look... I have tried a fresh install with  mach and the drivers. I'm just stumped... I sat and watched the pulse test for 10 minutes this morning looking for any kind of hickup but didn't get a one... But to listen to the motors turning sounding like the are just tearing up the bearings within them is a terrible sound... When I lowered the velosity all the way down to 30 from 85 just to get  smooth movement but still having the grinding sound... Plus running at 30 is way way to slow.... I do app the help and thought you put into it for me.... Maybe someone will read this and give there 2 cents worth... I've gotten alot of help on this forum from ppl like you and hood and tweakie, hope it keeps coming...

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
DAVE could you possibly BORROW another LPT card from someone or possibly a friendly local PC GURU that will work with you??

OR look on your MB to see if there is a local port onboard that needs a cable to bring out.

Thinking out loud, (;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »
OR the obivious option of running the Machine off the OLD puter and the CAD off the new puter .

(;-) TP

Offline bajadave

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »
I was on the dell website and they have a parallel card that plugs into a mini pci slot... they said it is compatable for my machine.
i'm not sure if it will help but I am going to order it and see if that helps... I just paid 38 for this card whats another 40 bucks.... Thank god I'm divorced or I would be shot by now..lolololol... For now I'm going to hook up my old machine and go back the way it was.... Thanks Br549 ... Keep on Trucking

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
Well you have to be carefull with LPT cards not ALL are what they seems to be. Many version take SHORTCUTS and are NOT true LPT parallel cards .

Art turned me on to the LAVA brand cards and they have been faultless and fast. They also have some of the fastest transfer speeds I have seen for an LPT port.

I use the Dual LAVA PCI cards exclusively . They run about $75 but have been worth every penney. I think the single version is about $48

ONE last thought have you play with setting the LPT port TYPE in the computer BIOS. I always set to a standard port.

(;-) TP