Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:19:29 PM

Author Topic: X and Y Axis go in wrong direction  (Read 10930 times)

Offline CJCNC

•  24 24
    • View Profile
X and Y Axis go in wrong direction
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:10:37 AM »
Hello,

Sometimes when I turn on my Mach 3 and machine, and I push the arrow to Jog my axis, they travel in the wrong direction.  If I switch the check mark in the homing and limits window, it works fine.  Also, sometimes when I hit the Home button, they go in the negative direction.  Again, when I check it in the homing and limits window it fixes the problem.  Sometimes it does it, and sometimes it doesn't.

What could be causing this?

I run a smooth stepper from Warp 9 and the latest version of Mach 3.  Also, this was doing it every once in a while when I was running my machine before I got the smooth stepper.

Thanks in advance

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: X and Y Axis go in wrong direction
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
Can you attach your xml and I will see if there is a problem with it.
Other things to check is the direction wiring to your drives is good.
Hood

Offline CJCNC

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
Thanks hood.  I will post the XML in a little while.  The wire directions are untouched since I got the machine.  That's why it leads me to believe its something in the software

Offline CJCNC

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »
Hood,  Could you please PM me your email address so I can send you the XML file.  Thanks

Offline CJCNC

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:28:15 AM »
Here is the XML.

If you find anything else that is wrong besides what I am looking for, please feel free to let me know..

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »
Dont really see anything wrong in the xml, I would likely set the controller frequency down to 2KHz and all axis down the 32KHz in the SommothStepper config but that is unlikely to really help, it will just reduce the overheads on your computer.

I would still check the wiring, the most likely cause is loose wiring or maybe even a dodgy breakout board as there doesnt seem to be anything wrong in the xml that would cause this.

When you say you have to change the Reverse in homing and limits is it to the opposite of normal or has it somehow changed from normal and you are needing to change it back?
Hood

Offline CJCNC

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »
Thanks Hood.  I will change the controller frequency as per your recommendation.  Will I see a performance loss by doing this?

Also, I will check the breakout board wiring and report if there is anything loose.

To tell you the truth, I don't know what the normal was in the homing and limits.  All I know is that when it acts up, i go into the screen and either make it a green check or a red X..  What should it look like normally?

Chris

Offline CJCNC

•  24 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
Ok I figured it out.

What happened is that at one point in the past, I must have accidentally changed the axes and immediately after closed Mach 3 down.  When I re opened it a little while later and the axes were in revers, I proceeded to switch them , however, I did not close out of Mach 3 and save the settings, so for some weird reason, some of the times it would be in the correct configuration, while other times it was not.  I just changed everything and closed out of mach 3 and re-opened it 5 times and all 5 times it was perfect.  Problem is solved.

About the frequency of the smooth stepper.  I changed it and everything seems to work the same, no performance loss or gain.  A window was prompting me to re-tune the axes, but they seem to be jogging appropriately in sound and feel..  Should I still tweak them a bit?

Thanks again for your help Hood. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »

Will I see a performance loss by doing this?
Chris

No you wont see a performance hit as your motor tuning does not require an more, in fact I think if I recall your motor tuning only requires around about 21KHz but as 32KHz is the lowest in the SS then thats what to use.
If your computer is happy enough with the controller Frequency at 4KHz then it might be an idea to leave it at that as FeedHolds will work slightly faster, however if your computer is on the edge it may give you run out of data error messages. So if you often see the error messages the 2KHz would be worth trying.
About the frequency of the smooth stepper.  I changed it and everything seems to work the same, no performance loss or gain.  A window was prompting me to re-tune the axes, but they seem to be jogging appropriately in sound and feel..  Should I still tweak them a bit?

No need to tweek, should be fine as it is.
Hood