Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:28:40 AM

Author Topic: taig mill motor tuning  (Read 4698 times)

Offline nige

•  23 23
  • feel the force
    • View Profile
taig mill motor tuning
« on: December 01, 2006, 06:57:48 AM »
hello folks
we have now purchased the mach 3 software and are in the process of figuring it out ................................time for beer
the main problem is that we are thick    i dont mean a bit stupid i mean really thick or at least thats what my other half says
i hold a more optamistc outlook .........i just think im unlucky somtimes .....ha ha
we got the software running and now we have motion but there seems to be a problem getting the step settings  motor tuning settings correct...
could sombody perhaps point us in the right direction did i recall someone saying they had a taig set up here in the uk (or anywhere ) using mach 3
also could you explain the difference between mach3 and mach3 mill .......
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 07:00:40 AM by nige »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: taig mill motor tuning
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 07:23:21 AM »
Check your e-mail and personal messages. Are you set up in imperial or metric? Motor tuning shouldn't be any trouble.  ;D
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 09:20:50 AM »
Hi Nige,
    I got your PM. Here is how you do the math. I will give you mine as an example. What we need to know is, How many pulses from Mach will it take to move the machine 1 of your units? (inch,mm) Mine is in inches. 1 inch = 10,000 pulses on mine. This is how I came up with the number.
My steppers have 200 pulses per revolution. ( 360 degrees divided by 1.8 degrees = 200 )
Micro stepping = 10. So 200 X 10=2,000
Motor to screw gearing is 1-1. So 2,000 X 1=2,000
Screw lead is .200 of an inch. My screw will have to turn 5 rounds to move the nut 1". 1.0 divided by 0.200=5. So 2,000 X 5=10,000.
Do the math first. Then we can move on. Once we are certain of all of this, dialing it in should be easy. Right now we don't know if you are skipping steps because the accel. and vel. are set to high or what.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:24:18 AM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 11:30:55 AM »
I have been running a taig for a while now.  Took me a while to get it right.  Some of the problems were related to lack of knowledge and my naturally slow learning curve, another was a bad controller that had to be corrected, another was loose jibs (a real learning experience to get them adjusted), and it took a while to get the settings right.  I think they are okay now.

e-mail me at BobsShop@insightbb.com and I will send you a copy of my xml file.

Bob @ BobsShop