Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:18:07 AM

Author Topic: Encoder assitance/info needed.  (Read 4038 times)

Encoder assitance/info needed.
« on: November 14, 2006, 02:39:29 PM »
Hello all.

Building a gantry router and acquring pieces/parts as I can on the cheap. I recently found a pair of very nice 300-watt Sanyo-Denki servo motors I hope to use. The motors have integrated encoders. And I'm trying to determine if the encoders will work with my anticipated setup. Any advice from someone knowledgeable would be most appreciated.

I will be using Gecko 320 drives with a Bob Campbell breakout board.

I think I understand the difference between incremental and absolute encoders, and understand I need incremental encoders. The manufacturer's spec sheet on these motors, model T730-012E59, is available here: http://sanyodb.colle.co.jp/servo_e/pb/dc/

The motor nomenclature designates these encoders as "line driver output" versus "open collector output". Although there is a brief explanation and a diagram in the spec sheet I'm not sharp enough to understand the difference. There are eight wires from the encoder.

Will these encoders work with Mach3, Gecko 320s, and Bob's board? Any wiring tips?

Thanks.

:-[

Offline jr_82

•  29 29
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Woodworks
Re: Encoder assitance/info needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »
I have a Sanyo Denki Motor B90L-0315-0041A I was wanting to hook it up to run as a lathe attachment, but not sure how to wire it either.  2 power wires and 4 off of the encoder.

Junior
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »
An old post I know but in the case of the line driver these can usually be used the same as differential, just that it is single ended, the open collector require a pull up resistor.
As to the motor the four wires for an encoder would be two power and A & B channels.
You may have to pop the cover and do a little reverse engineering to figure out the voltage, e.g. if it has IC that are 5v TTL etc and also determine the power + and - by tracing through to a known component pin out, power pins etc.
N.

Offline jr_82

•  29 29
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »
ok I will try that.

Junior