Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:42:21 PM

Author Topic: Mini-ITX D525 Atom and Slim XP  (Read 3726 times)

Mini-ITX D525 Atom and Slim XP
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »
Due to the fact all my computers and laptops are running Win7 x64 I was a bit hood-winked into buying a SmoothStepper, and am now just finding out it doesn;t necessarily do all the things Mach is capable of through the PP.  Not that it isn't a great option, its just that I have plenty of misc older hardware and Windows licenses to build a dedicated x86 system for the same or less money.  That and I would like to be able to test and compare the old PP to the SS option.

I was wondering if anybody is running a Mini-ITX Intel D525 Atom (Dual core 1.8GHz) integrated motherboard??  If so which brand are you running, how much RAM, and of course any quirks or issues using the integrated PP?   I am looking at the Gigabyte board as I have used them almost exclusively in workstation and HTPC builds and never had one fail yet, that or the Foxconn which is a bit cheaper but also uses DDR2 ram which I have a few sticks lying around.  Lastly, is the thing bearishly slow, I know I setup a netbook once and it was painfully slow and it was the latest dual-core offering from Dell.  However that was running more intense media applications, how does Mach perform on an Atom, any issues with display refresh using the DRO's etc. in Mach considering the IGP on the Atoms?  I am planning on running a touchscreen display off what ever I purchase, though I have to confirm the monitor will be compatible with VGA.

Regarding OS, I have a bunch of XP Pro licenses along with one or 2 remaining 7 licenses.  Is there any loss/benefit going one way or the other.  Regarding XP has anyone built a stripped down Slim XP install for dedicated use with Mach?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:34:57 PM by Biermann »

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-ITX D525 Atom and Slim XP
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:36:18 AM »
I use a Foxconn 45CSX via the LPT.  5 axis router.  Tiny XP.

Very happy with it.  When doing complex 4 axis jobs I must turn off the tool path view or it will stutter.

This is only on 4 axis.   3 axis is fine.  4 axis (rotary) view requires more graphics power than 3 axis does.

Greg
Re: Mini-ITX D525 Atom and Slim XP
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »
Thanks Greg for the reply.

I do plan to run a 4th axis once in a while.  There used to be some great Core-i3 deals but they seems to be gone now that the new chipset is out and they are having issues with the SATA controller.  Maybe see if I can find an Atom/ION combo with PP.