Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:05:50 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Advice on VFD conversion  (Read 5183 times)

Newbie Advice on VFD conversion
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:52:37 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My first post so please excuse any ignorance.
I have a Chinese type mill that I wish to convert to 3 phase from single phase with VFD control for obvious reasons + I wish to increase the kw from standard 1.5 to 2.2.

After this I wish to do a CNC conversion controlled by MACH3.

My question is I have found this VFD unit on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180660166513&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:AU:1123
and need to know if it could be controlled via MACH3. I have asked the supplier and he doesn't know much about MACH3 so was hoping someone here could look at the specs on the ebay listing here
http://www.fennecmachinery.com.au/SA...M%20manual.pdf
and let me know if they believe it suitable to be controlled by MACH3.

Don't know much about the electrical side of things but learning fast.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
Re: Newbie Advice on VFD conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »
Michael,

Not for sure how much help this will be but I will give it a shot.  I bought this vfd on eBay and am currently running it with mach 3.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180515266919&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3692.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D180515266919%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
I downloaded the plug-in for it off the Mach 3 forum and used a usb to rs485 adapter to communicate with mach 3.  I have been running it for several months now and have not had any problems.  You need to check your input voltage and make sure that this is the unit you need.  I believe they offer them in different configurations. Also you need to check the out put voltage and make sure that it is the same as your spindle.  I bought mine as set not realizing that the original vfd did not have the communication chip and had to purchase this one.  I hope this helps!!!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:23:26 PM »
The only thing you need to verify is the "Vector Drive mode"  a lot of vector drives used an encoder on the shaft to feed into the VFD. It may just be an OPTION or may be a vector drive only.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »
Hello Jugster and BR549,
Thanks for the feedback.

Jugster, with your unit how did you find the finger pad control use prior to MACH3 connection as opposed to say a normal potentiometer?
Reason I ask is I will be using it in this manner for a little while before I integrate with MACH3 and a pot seems easier than finger pads. Any thoughts?

cheers
Michael
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:27:04 PM »
Actually that was the reason I went ahead and upgraded the vfd to one with the communication chip.  I wasn't a big deal but you were actually adjusting the rpms from the frequency menu instead of the rpm menu.  The vfd is actually changing the frequency to give you a different spindle rpm so it all makes since.  I just grew tired of having to adjust for every tool change then having to be there when the machine finished the program to turn the spindle off.  Search around on this forum, there is alot of information pertaining to these units.  I probably would have not been able to get mine up going on my own but fortunately there are some real wizards on this forum and all of my questions had been asked by someone else already.  Good Luck!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »
Michael,

One quick thing that I forgot to add.  A friend of mine is currently using his the way you are speaking.  He actually got a longer cable and mounted the display for his vfd on the outside of his panel for ease of access.  Not for sure what kind of ribbon cable it is as I am no expert on it, but I do know that the display will pop out on mine.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
Hi Jugster,

Thanks for that. Yes, I did a bit more searching and digging last night and starting to wrap my head around it all. The unit you mentioned is very reasonably price so may have to go down this option. Not too much lost if it doesn't work out, but I'm sure it will.

Cheers
Michael
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »
There seems to be good and bad reviews of this unit.  I guess that is with everything though.  I was on a tight budget and seeing as how I spent over a grand in raw aluminum stock to build my machine out of its became a matter of well if it don't work I haven't loss that much.  You can literally read for hours on these units in various posts.  I may even have some literature that I found online that I can send you if you need it.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »
Hi Jugster,
If you could PM or send link to the literature you refer to then that would be great.

Cheers
Michael