Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:03:29 PM

Author Topic: Switching from wincnc to mach3  (Read 13401 times)

Switching from wincnc to mach3
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »
Just checking to see how hard it would be to reuse a wincnc controller for mach3. I would appreciate any input.

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Switching from wincnc to mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
Afraid I have no idea how WinCNC is connected but I am sure I have seen on other forums that people have swapped between them for testing purposes. That would suggest it to be a fairly straightforward thing to do, so if you can describe your setup and how the cable connects to the computer it may help.
Pics of the control box internals may also provide some clues.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »
IF I remember correctly the WinCNC uses step/dir output so you would be able to rewire the PC directly to the Drives using a good BOB.

BUT you would not be able to use their motion control boards as per say.

(;-) TP

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:28:29 AM »
Looks like it uses a pci card and daughter board to send signals to the servo drivers. These of which are from keling.

Offline A1CNC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:02 PM »
I have a router with wincnc.
I did try connecting Mach3 to see if it would be better than Wincnc.
I ended up staying with wincnc.
My router has steppers not servos though.

You can get the wincnc manual from here http://www.wincnc.net/ in the manual you can find out where the signals are probably connected.

I would be interested to find out if anyone has done a comparison with Mach3 with a motion controller like the smooth stepper vs. Wincnc.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »
I would be interested to find out if anyone has done a comparison with Mach3 with a motion controller like the smooth stepper vs. Wincnc

Easy answer.....price ........so much for Wincnc in my opinion.  ;)

RICH
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:49:44 AM »
I will probably try a weekend with a 12 pack and see if we can switch it over. 
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 09:52:52 AM »
In comparison I think Mach trumps wincnc. There are more features at the click of a mouse. I dislike pull down menus and small buttons.
As with my website I stick to products that are either open source or relatively price friendly, because they seem to have the largest support groups and plug ins availble.

Offline A1CNC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »
Wincnc is customizeable.
You can create your own screen, custom macro buttons on the screen, etc.. I found a thread a long time ago about that on the cnczone I think.

Price, well I agree Mach3 software is cheaper.

I have a lathe that I use Mach3 on, I love it but there is some kind of quirk where sometimes it will just freeze the computer. The only way out is to press the power button on the pc. I have a custom Lathe screen I created and I thought it was that but, it has happened using the regular lathe screen as well. I even tried a different computer and it happened on that as well. Yes I own a license so it's not an un-licensed copy.

In the 5+ years I have had wincnc, I have MAYBE once had it mess up on me. I have had Wincnc, Bobcad, Solidworks all running on the same pc at the same time, Running a job while Drawing a part in solidworks, then generating G-code with bobcad all while the job kept running in the background.

Not trying to bash Mach3, I really like it, the features, the support forum, i just have trouble with my lathe.

If I could have that kind of reliability in Mach3 I wouldn't hesitate to convert my Hardinge Superslant over to Mach3, probably even my (2) VMC'S too.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
when you initially installed it, did it crash during the driver test.