Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:08:33 PM

Author Topic: Epoxy Concrete CNC Mill Design and Method  (Read 13457 times)

Epoxy Concrete CNC Mill Design and Method
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:53:27 AM »
Hi All

I have been working on the design of Vertical mill based on Epoxy concrete
The highlighted cube shown below is 500 X 500 X 500 mm, not a small machine but it may be scaled down.  The same principals can be used on other machines.

The Flat surfaces are cast on a surface plate with containing formwork.

This is the first draft and it is a bit rough. All the major parts are in place. I will post updates as the design evolves.

A power point presentation of the design objectives can be found here (2MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5c1obos9oksx3xg/Epoxy%20Concrete%20Machine%20Des%20%20PPT%20MACH3%20.zip

All the Cad Files for the project including the above power point can be found 5 MB here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n9pd9bitdg1l2ef/CNC%20MILL%20EPOXY%20CONCRETE%2030_04_2011%20Mach3%20.zip

Cheers
John

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Epoxy Concrete CNC Mill Design and Method
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
A very ambitious project John. I look forward to seeing your progress on this.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
Hi Tweakie

Thanks for your support.

I have seen a lot of wood / Aluminium routers, however very few projects that can handle steel apart from conversions.

The question is where do we get that Spindle? The rest is not that hard to find.

The Epoxy bearing material will come in handy.
I guess the Epoxy Concrete is a little less critical than some would argue….And I am using plenty of Steel reinforcement.

Cheers

John
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:50:35 AM by John Mac »
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:11 AM »
Hi All

In order to learn some of the methods of using Epoxy concrete, now often called “Mineral casting” I am building a small Worden tool grinder. You will find many references on the net. It will come in handy to grind lathe tools to the correct angle; however the build is not as it was originally designed. All the sheet metal parts for the frame have been replaced by 4 Epoxy concrete castings. Most of the detailed work is now done except for the table, some graduated dials, the y axis feed, the grinding motor itself and its epoxy concrete stand.

I have been documenting the build Here: (you will need to scroll back to the start and ignore the off topic comments hmm…..)

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=51617

Maybe the grinder is a bit off topic for this forum however the casting methods certainly are not. A litre and a bit of Epoxy and a bucket of aggregate and sand replaced a lot of sheet metal and made a much more rigid tool. The machine is really solid.  Note the cast in place low friction bearings.

The main objective is to get some hands on experience on a small affordable project before I tackle the CNC Mill using mineral casting.

When the machine is finished I will post a set of drawings.

Cheers

John

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:41:30 AM by John Mac »
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »
This sounds like a fascinating build, unfortunately I can't see any of the pictures here at work. I'll have to check again at home.
Wow, I thought there were a lot of off topic comments on some of the forums here, but some of your guys are bordering on rude.
I will give you credit for bring the topic back around.... several times.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:43:17 AM »
What did I say wrong ?   ???

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:13:52 AM »
Tweakie, I was talking about the Model engineer forum. :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:48:16 AM »
 ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »
Hi Jammerm and good to see you Tweakie.

I was borne in and live in Melbourne Australia, so they are not exactly "my guys", The Model Engineer forum is like any other public group. Some really gifted individuals and naturally its share of detractors. The Uk has and does produce some pretty good engineers both formally trained and hands on practical. I am one of the latter. It’s a pity that threads get taken off topic (As I am doing now) so maybe I should get back to the subject at hand. Building Epoxy Concrete based machinery.

A bit later, hopefully today I will post a further installment on The ME Site The table is now installed on the machine. The next component will be the Y axis feed.

The quicker I finish it the quicker I get back to my CNC mill design.

Cheers

John    

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »
The question is where do we get that Spindle?
Might end up having to fab one up yourself, if you have a decent lathe. At least you could then tailor it to your exact requirements instead of designing around a purchased unit.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."