Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:12:24 AM

Author Topic: Axis support  (Read 7024 times)

Re: Axis support
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
I was thinking that you would have 6 coordinated axis and then 6 more separately coordinated axis on the second machine. You could always ask if there was a discount for Mach3 or since it was in use on the same machine would you even have to buy the second license??

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »
I see, so you are thinking along the lines of setting up a sub spindle with a live lower turret on one controller, then the main spindle and upper turret on another controller.

There will be problems in case you want to start syncing though, but it would be cool as two separate lathe's where you do side one on the left and then side two on the right.

Mach is cheap, if you are prepared to spend on the hardware the extra cost for a second controller isn't an issue, but you won't get it to sync like a $30K controller.

From the swiss demo's I've been on what happens is you load two programs and they execute separately but both starting when the start button is pushed, at some stage one is given the command to wait for the other, they then sync and run a portion synced then after another command is given and they execute separately again until finished then both start again from the beginning when looped. It is the sync section that is important, which won't be possible. It is better for the controller to support 12 axis that can be separated in 6 x 6 than it is to run 6 x 6 and try and turn it into a 12.
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »
I agree that 12 as opposed to 6x6 would be better and I won't even try to understand what CAM software would be like but 250 is a lot less than 30k.

For the production gus making a full time living I agree with you but for the small shop guy with time on his hands it moght be worth it.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
Definitely.

There are a lot of production work that requires this functionality but doesn't pay enough for a $1m machine and accessories, well not here anyway, I think in the US the market is stronger for these components.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »
Simple Syncing can be as easy as a few VB scripts that talk via outputs and inputs to each other.

Or through Modio or just simple serial

Just a thought(;-)
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
Good to know, thanks.