Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:41:08 AM

Author Topic: Axis support  (Read 7023 times)

Axis support
« on: April 29, 2011, 06:53:25 AM »
Hi

Will Mach3 V4 support more than 6 axis?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Axis support
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:36:28 AM »
Unlikely.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
Thanks, bummer though.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:53:32 PM »
why are you actually needing more axis?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
For mill/turn you have C on the main spindle, XYZ + B on the tool section, then A on the sub spindle and you now require a 7th W(Z2) to move it forwards and backwards.

Even getting hold of an old swiss and retrofitting can require up to 12, usually less though, but if it has a sub and some live tools it has more than 6.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
Do all axis have to be true axis? I think there will be multi spindle support in Mach4 but that was talked about a while ago so may not still be on the cards.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
Not necessarily, and is there some info on "non true-axis" setups?
I've read somewhere that there is multi-path planning being looked into "in the future" but not sure if meant V4 or later, in which case it would mean more axis wouldn't it?

For multi-spindle it is available via plugin: http://www.fusioncnc.com/products/28-3-spindle-plug-in.aspx but no threading etc... I must look at the kflop doc's again to see if it is able to do this.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:57:07 PM by jrobson »
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 07:35:37 AM »
FYI

From Tom - Kflop, you can use 3 spindles, but your live tooling will need to be your main mach spindle for rigid tapping, but you can thread on the 2 lathe spindles still.

It would also be possible to position the sub spindle via macro rather than G-code to add an extra axis, since the sub usually doesn't need to be interpolated with the other axis's.

If there is an alternative method to do this I'd be curious how it's done...

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Regarding the non synced axis, I have always wondered about using a second computer running Mach3 as well.  It gives 6 more axis of motion via the pport.
It shouldn't be too difficult to get them to talk to each other, even if you had to use pport I/O to run the tool changer for instance. Looks like a backburner project for me.

When I get that far on one of my machines I may try it. A second cheap computer shouldn't be that big of a deal to source. I don't think that you could use modus the way it is currently implemented since both computers would be masters and one would have to be a slave.

A small PLC such as the click plc would work fine and allow for Modbus communications  but  I am not sure if you could do motion from it. More expensive PLC's with motion cards can do it.

The DSPMC has 8 analog outputs w/encoder feedback so you can have Mach3 do 6 coordinated axis of motion and then run the Toolchanger from the DSPMC macro that resides inside the DSPMC. IIRC

It may be possible to do this with a Galil card and the custom notify function but it is not something that I have tried.

HTH

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 03:51:20 PM »
The tool changer can be programmed within k-flop so to not use a mach axis for it.

But if you have 3 "c" axis's, an XYZ a second Z etc then it's a problem, if you have 2 turret's that are live you have two x's y'x and z's then still have to account for the C's for tapping the sub z, spindle C's etc...
The problem hooking up two mach's would not be in the cost of a second pc and license and hardware, more about how to properly sync it all.