Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:27:56 PM

Author Topic: STEP MOTORS CONEXTION  (Read 2638 times)

STEP MOTORS CONEXTION
« on: April 22, 2011, 02:00:35 PM »
Hi there!
I am using MACH 3 for a 3-axis CNC machine.

I am using step motors with four wires.  I am connecting these four cables according to specifications. However when I move these motors in both directions with the Jog,
they only move in one (clockwise!) direction. Of course if I switch two wires my motor moves to the opposite direction, and again, if a press right or left arrow they move counter clockwise.
Do you have any suggestion to move them in both directions?

I appreciate any suggestion related with this matter.

Thank You in advance.

E.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: STEP MOTORS CONEXTION
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:43:11 AM »
E,

For some reason your driver is not seeing or recognizing the 'Direction' signal from Mach. When this signal is High the motor turns one way and when it is Low the motor turns the other way. Check your setup in ports and pins to make sure you are setting the direction signals correctly (pin#, port#, active low/active high etc).

Tweakie.
PEACE
STEP MOTORS CONEXTION
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:39:36 PM »
Hi there!
Thank You for your last answer.

Now I would like to mention what I have been doing.

First, my motor seem to be working properly, this is because I changed the direction manually and it did work on both directions.
Now, the problem apparently lies on software or on breakout board.

When connecting the PULSE- and DIR- to pins 2 and 3 motor moves to one direction only. This means that when the computers sends a signal through one of this pins it received by the motors.
However, the signal sent by DIR- is not received to change the spinning direction of this motors. According to my knowledge, this is the way this controller handles direction in
the motor. I am starting thinking that the problem is software, in this case MACH3.
My question is: Is there an extra configuration needed in MACH3 to active the signal sent from the computer to the breakout board?
Apparently, signal is not received by my breakout board.

I will appreciate and help related with this matter.

Sincerely,
E.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: STEP MOTORS CONEXTION
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 02:26:29 AM »
E,

One of the problems that is being seen more and more often now is that older breakout boards / controllers require the full 5 volt TTL logic signals and modern computers / parallel ports output the 3.3 volt TTL standard.
May be an idea to check your parallel port with a multimeter (negative probe to GND [pins 18 to 25] and positive probe to any direction pin then jogging that axis the meter should read approx 5 volts in one direction and approx 0 volts in the other.

Tweakie.
PEACE