Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:41:36 PM

Author Topic: Help sorting out axes.  (Read 3263 times)

Help sorting out axes.
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new to machining and have had my mill for about a year now. I am now starting to run the CNC side of things and have a Gecko G540 running 3 motors. I have been able to run some wizards in Mach3 but my axes seem to be off somewhere. As I am starting out with no formal education on these things I think that some of the basic knowledge has passed me by.

I have laid out my axes from looking at the Mach3 Jog control tab (first picture).

The second picture is how I have laid everything out.

Physical Movement
Axis designation
Keyboard key used to control motion

Some of my wizards seem to be flipped and others are not. Could you guys please double check me so that I know I am working from a correct baseline.

Thanks,

Ian
Re: Help sorting out axes.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
x and y are backwards I think, z looks ok. It's the tool that's going + and - not the part

happy easter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
CNC axis directions ALWAYS assume it is the tool that moves, NOT the table.  When facing the front of the machine X+ would move the tool to the right, or the table to the left.  Y+ would move the tool away from the operator, or the table towards the operator.  Z+ would move the tool up, or the table down.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
Thank you Ray L. and TramAlot.

I think I have everything sorted on the mill side now. I flipped things around and had to change the hotkeys for the Y axis but everything is set up as in my attached diagram. Things seem to run smoothly in my wizards too.

Just to double check. I have attached another diagram showing how I am going to set up the Lathe in Turn. Is this the correct orientation. You guys say positive is the tool moving toward the work. So is this one right?

Thanks for your input.

Ian

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »
For lathe:
Z-.......tool moves towards the chuck and Z+ moves towards the tailstock
X+......tool moves towards you and X- moves away from you

See figure 14 in the write-up Mach3Turn - Arc Motion in Members Docs for a front tool post. There is a difference if you are using a rear tool post.
Don't mix front and rear tool post.

RICH
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:02:05 PM »
Thank you for the clarification Rich.

Now I just have to figure out how to sort my DRO's when I switch over.

Thanks.

Ian