Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:51:07 AM

Author Topic: 2nd Build - Steel Tube, Gantry Style, Mill / Router  (Read 31047 times)

Re: 2nd Build - Steel Tube, Gantry Style, Mill / Router
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Couple pics of the Y axis drive.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:52:11 PM by toomanyhobbies »
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
Been making some good progress on this build. Although, I suspect progress will slow considerably from here on considering how cold it's been here and I have no heat in the shop :(

Anyway, some of the work I got done:
Got wider belts for the y axis, the narrow ones were stretching a little.

Finished the X and Z axis. The X was easy after I figured out how I was going to do it :) The Z turned out to be a long project that involved purchasing a Bridgeport Series II mill to make the 3 plates that make up the Z axis. Then after I finally got the Z axis done, I had to change out the Acme screw/delrin nut combination to a ball screw due to a bad vibration from the acme screw.

Quick Z axis demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt9paSCZvhs

Pen plotting a part file with feed rates of 30 to 250 IPM and rapids at 600 IPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbIUzRVaNq8

I guess the next project will be getting a spindle on this beast.

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »
Couple pics of the Z axis getting a ball screw transplant and a few pics of the X axis.
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »
Its progressing nicely, great work !

JH
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »
Its progressing nicely, great work !

JH

Thanks JH. I was checking out your Bridgeport retrofit. That is an awesome build!!! I really like vintage iron, I wish I had thought to retrofit an old machine instead of building this machine.
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 09:38:43 PM »
Well, it's starting to get warmer outside and so I have been working on the cnc machine a bit more. Sure wish I had heat in the barn this past winter. could have got a lot more stuff done!

Anyway, I finished the Z axis. Mounted the cable chains for X, Y and Z. All I need to do now is finish the home and limit switches for X and Y and wire up a output to turn the spindle on/off. Also I would like to setup a mist coolant system, I am very impressed with the mist coolant I put on the old machine! It works great and it was free (made it from a soda bottle, an old air soleniod, a regulator, and some clear tubing). I'll try to get a few pics posted in a day or two.

Here is a video of a test cut run on the new machine. Cutting 6061 aluminum at 50 IPM and then 120IPM ;D  Keep in mind the majority of the chatter comes from the Porter Cable router and a dull end mill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a974jExoLak
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
Pic of the cut, showing surface finish.
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2011, 10:34:27 PM »
Managed to get some work done on the spindle. Fabbed up a housing for the BT30 Kitamura spindle cartridge. Was concerned about the weight of the assembly, maybe around 80-90lbs for the spindle & housing plus 20lbs for the motor. Z axis seemed to lift it ok though. May add a gas spring to the Z axis just to alleviate some of the weight.

So, the plan is to use 1:1 on the belt drive. Figuring the motor running on a vfd is good for about 1000-7000rpm. What do you guys think? Sound like a good rpm range? My expected use will be milling, boring and tapping aluminum and occasionally milling some steel. Cutter sizes typically from .125" to 1.00" and ,if the rigidity allows, a small (2.5"?) face mill. Maybe someone could chime in on my plan.

Next on the list is mounting the motor, fabbing a mount for the hydraulic cylinder and making a air over hyd booster. Also have to setup a spindle oiler. What is the correct oil to use for a air lubricated spindle? Mobil Velocite ???

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 12:27:01 AM »
Sorry I don't have any input on the spindle, but I do have to ask....what's the story with the Firebird?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
Sorry I don't have any input on the spindle, but I do have to ask....what's the story with the Firebird?

The Firebird is a 1969 convertible, originally had a 350HO however the motor was missing when I purchased it. It now has a worked 455 with KRE heads, roller cam, etc. It's mostly done but still needs a little work on the interior. I've owned it for about 17 yrs. Done 2 restorations on it! You may see it at a car show this summer if you live near me.