Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:12:40 PM

Author Topic: Pockets Made Easy  (Read 6504 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Pockets Made Easy
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »
Thanks for the info rrc1962, very good to know
Nicolas

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
To do "rest"machining for your profile try this.
Offset 1 -Make an offset of the profile for cutting the profile outline using the small end mill.
Offset 2 - Make an offset based on a larger end mill of the profile. When done it should make a path that it can cut, thus it will not get into tight spots.

Now you pocket offset 2.
Now use select offset 1 & 2 and pocket the inside with a tool.
Now cut the profile based on offset 1.

I don't know what your profile looks like.
Fool around with the above in LC.
Sometimes LC pocketing leaves something to be desired!

RICH

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 09:19:48 PM »
Keep in mind, "rest machining" is not absolutely necessary. If the CAM program is not capable of rest machining, you will just have to re-cut the entire machined area with the smaller bit(s). Rest machining simply picks out only the details that were un-machinable with the larger bit, and cuts those places only. It cuts the "rest" of the material. This makes machining time go way down in some cases, but for the weekend warrior, it's not a "must have". Personally, I like cutting across the entire project with the last bit. I think it gives it a more uniform , and appealing look. If I found a CAM program that I liked, but it didn't have that function, I would not discard it on that fact alone.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 12:12:51 AM »
I like what you said RICH and I will give it a try. Never thought to make Offset 1 & 2 like you said, very smart and I’m sure it will work.

That’s me Sam a “weekend warrior” with lots of time available LOL. I agree with your techniques and I also agree that choosing a CAM program it is a difficult process and not all features may be available on the one I will like

Thank you both
Nicolas