Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:15:11 AM

Author Topic: Growling Y AXIS Motor  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
Growling Y AXIS Motor
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:48:37 PM »
Hi,

I am in the process of setting up MACH3 on a Shopbot PRT 48 X 96 Router.

Got all my proximity, E-Stop, homing working thanks to the help I received here.

I have also tuned the motors and set the steps per inch on all the motors.  I have the motion control set to constant velocity.  The A Axis is Slaved to the X Axis.

I am running Gekco 202 drivers.  The motor on the X,Z & A Drives run about 85 degrees F and the motor on the Y Axis runs abou 105 degrees F.

The motors on the X,Y & A Axis are Vexta A6497-9412KTG     0.5/Step
The motor on the Z Axis is a Vexta PK296A@A-SQ7-2            0.25/Step

When I try and run some GCODE the router growls LOUDLY when it is trying to make a move that requires a combination of X & Y like an ARC.
I had a spare Vexta A6497-9412KTG so I replaced the motor on the Y Axis and the growl is still there.

I have a spare Gekco 202 and wonder if the Y Axis driver might be the problem.

There might be a problem in the configuration so I have attached my XML file for your review.

Any help that you guys might be able to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:50:31 PM by Helicopterjohn »
Shopbot PRT 48 X 96  Gekco 203V drives, PMDX-126 Multi-Mode Breakout Board, PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control, (2) Ea. PMDX-133 3-axis Daisy-Chainable Motherboard for Gekco 203V's, PMDX-2PARPCi Dual Parallel Port Card, Super PID Speed Controller, 2010 Screen Set, Solid State Relays for dust/coolant.
Re: Growling Y AXIS Motor
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:34:39 PM »
What's the current draw on the motors?  What do you have for a power supply?  Try turning your acceleration down to 30 or so.  With your steps per unit at around 1800 per, you should be able to go back to 30 or so and not see any corner rounding in CV mode.  An inadequate power supply will also cause stalling.

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
Hi,

I have no idea how to check the current draw on the motors.  I believe the previous owner updated the power supply in the Shopbot control box.  I have enclosed a picture so you get an idea of the size.  I think he mentioned the number 70, don't know if that was amps, watts etc.

I think my acceleration was a lot higher than 30.  I will give that a try and see how it works.

Thanks,

John
Shopbot PRT 48 X 96  Gekco 203V drives, PMDX-126 Multi-Mode Breakout Board, PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control, (2) Ea. PMDX-133 3-axis Daisy-Chainable Motherboard for Gekco 203V's, PMDX-2PARPCi Dual Parallel Port Card, Super PID Speed Controller, 2010 Screen Set, Solid State Relays for dust/coolant.

Offline Helicopterjohn

•  62 62
  • Seffner, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Helicopterjohn.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
Hi Guys,

Problem Fixed.   I removed the Y Axis Gekco 202 from the Shopbot cabinet and found that the 2 screws that hold the cover on the driver were missing and allowing the cover to touch some of the contacts on the circuit board.  I didn't see any burnt marks where electrical contract may be been.  I put some cover attachment screws in of the appropriate length and reinstalled the Y Axis Gekco 202 and now all is fine.  The growling is gone and the temperature on all the Axis motors is now COOL.

Thanks for looking at my post and offering suggestions.

John