Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:39:20 PM

Author Topic: Question about wire gauge & applications  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
Question about wire gauge & applications
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »
Hello,

I have started getting everything together. My next concern is the wiring. Most of the signal/communication, and encoders connections on the Dugong drives  & B_O_B board, are RJ45 network connectors.

This cable length(s)  will be  measured after all hardware is temp. mounted  & mocked up.

All cables are going to have factory formed ends on them.

All of the other wiring is what my concern is.  What wire size should be  used for the powering of the Dugongs?

Usually I always go the next size bigger in wire as long as it doesn't affect mobility & flex for the application.

What about re-using some of the wiring that is coming out of the Hurco?

A lot of it looks new and the insulation isn't peeling or cracked. There is about 7,000 mile of wire in that machine. ::)

Not to be cheap, it just seems like a waste to throw it away. Another thing is using different colored wire makes it easy to trace problems.

I have the numbered tube markers for labeling the wire. They are on the Hurco.

Should I just go to an  electronics store and buy 50' each of  stranded wire in the 4 or 5 different colors of most used gauge? 

I want to do this right. It would be a shame to have problems becasue of  a short cut.

A lot of the new wire is made in China and it seems more likely to fail than some of the old Hurco wire.

The  new wire feels cheap.

Thanks,
JAckal
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Question about wire gauge & applications
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:24:53 AM »
Use what you have as long as its the correct gauge (or more) for the circuit. I tend to just use whats available and often use 3,4 or 5 core cables and strip the outer off to get the seperate wires.
Numbering is a good idea and keeping wiring in a few colours depending on the type of voltage they are carrying is also a good idea,
Hood

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
Re: Question about wire gauge & applications
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »
Thanks for the info, Hood.

Any wire that is re-used, I pull it out and check it. Some of those wires can look good on both ends and be worn or chafed in the middle somewhere. ;)

JAckal
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.