Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:06:50 PM

Author Topic: depth works when I start at zero, but not when I change the cut start  (Read 4423 times)

I made a new simple trace to make a cut out mount a plastic cover.  If I set the cut start to zero, and the depth to -0.15, it work as planned.  However, all the other programs on this piece have a start height of 1.7323.  I'd like to paste this into another program, so I need to match that.  If I change the cut start to 1.7323 (or 1, or anything else), the dept goes right to -0.25.  I even tried tricking LC by making a tool with a max dept of -.15, but it still cuts to -0.25. 

Any ideas?  I have read the manual and looked for bugs, but I didn't see any.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: depth works when I start at zero, but not when I change the cut start
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »

I always use Z zero as the upper most surface. That way all the rest of the machined surfaces are below that level. Since each is an individual machining operation I also put
the individual profiles on seperate levels in CAD. That way all machining is negative relative to Z=zero.

Take a look at tutorial #6. Notice that you can send Cut parameters to one layer or all the layers.

---------------------------------------------------------------
As far matching some other code generated by another program i would need to see that code.

RICH

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »
The cutting depth of -.15 must be made relative to the top of the work so a cut depth of -.15 is actually 1.7323 - 0.15 = 1.5823".

If I understand the problem correctly, the other program generates G-code using 1.7323" as the top of material. 

The solution for you is to create your cutting patterns using a top of material as zero (the right way to think about cutting). Then migrate your G-code into you other program's G-code using the G52 command to offset the Z axis zero to 1.7323. The Mach3 program will do the depth of cut math for you.  Don't forget to clear the G52 command after your routine is done.

Good luck,
Bill

Pixel Tamer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:09:58 AM »
Thanks.  I see it now.  I'll try the 1.5823. 

I have 20-30 programs that I inherited that use the 1.7323 as the top of the material.  I would much rather have that as zero, since I type that number in every time I change bits, which is 10 times or so per piece.  I think I can just use the global offset, which I use for the two fixture locations I have anyhow.  It would be easy to add a Z.  I'll play around with the G52 as well.  I'm doing little nips and tucks to make all the programs a bit more user friendly. 
i got a problem with the z vaules. when i load a dxf file i'm block and can't manual change the settings.  it keep my Z -12 in the bed below zero. this under the chains tab and won't let me change it. 

Tim

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
You set or change Z values in in the Layers tab.
RICH