Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:03:14 AM

Author Topic: Motors will not spin  (Read 12139 times)

Re: Motors will not spin
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
It is a Microproto controller. According to the wiring diagram I got with the controller, it has gecko g201 drivers
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »
Ok I made some forward progress today. I received installation instruction from the guy I bought the mill from. I installed the .xml file that came with the instructions and now the motors hold(they have power), but I still can not get them to jog. I checked my pins again for voltage. All Dir pins have 3.5v and all Step pins have 3.5v. There is no change in voltage on any pin when I jog. Any ideas?
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 11:15:52 PM »
This is the .xml file for Taig mill

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 03:23:19 AM »
If you are checking the pins direct at the port and there is no change in voltage (assuming you are testing the correct pins, easy to look at the port the wrong way round) then Mach is not communicating with your port. That either means you have the wrong address or the driver is not working correctly. However as you seem to now be getting the motors holding I presume Mach must be sending a signal out through the port so it must be correct, that is assuming when you press reset the motors are free?
Hood
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 10:49:55 AM »
It doesn't matter if I hit the reset button or not....the motors always hold now. I noticed when I start Up Mach I get an error message that says: ERROR STARTING AFTER PREP. I click ok, then Mach starts up, but under the status bar it reads: ERROR STARTING ENGINE. Ill play around with the address and see if I get any where

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
It doesn't matter if I hit the reset button or not....the motors always hold now. I noticed when I start Up Mach I get an error message that says: ERROR STARTING AFTER PREP. I click ok, then Mach starts up, but under the status bar it reads: ERROR STARTING ENGINE. Ill play around with the address and see if I get any where

It is normal for the steppers to remain held irrespective of the reset state.
I have never seen that error message before so I think that is something that needs urgent investigation and correction.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »
As the motors seem to be holding with the only difference seeming to be a new xml then I assume an enable is being used, not looked at the xml though. If that is the case then I would have thought the motors would be in a free state when the drives were not enabled. I am however more used to servos so that may be different for steppers.

The error sounds like there is no driver installed. Have a look on the diagnostics page and see if there is a frequency showing and also a time in int.

Hood
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »
I wanna thank you guys for all your help. Everything works fine now. I installed the .xml, I reinstalled Mach, rebooted the computer and now I'm up and running. Thanks again

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »
Glad to hear you have got it all working OK now  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE