Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:06:22 PM

Author Topic: Motor tuning dillema  (Read 6253 times)

Motor tuning dillema
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »
A couple of months ago a new guy was hired as a "machinist" for my team. The first thing that I wanted to know was if he could adjust to Mach after working with a more "commercial" type of cnc. The 1st assignment that I gave him was to familiarize himself with the mill. I gave him the manual and told him to try some things. The next afternoon he quit with no explanation. My mill has not been the same since. Motors were out of tune Homing didn't work. I must have suffered from an enormous brain fart because I didn't retain a backup copy of the xml file. (Please don't rub it in, as I plan to burn the xml to a disc with a backup on the network.) I went into the xml backup folder and all the contents were gone. Empty. After spending the next hour swearing and beating my self up, I began the process of retuning. I got ALMOST everything done I still have a problem with the X axis. It seems to run fine during normal operation, but when I try to jog it, it growls, stalls, and when I attempt to reverse direction it tries to go in the same direction that I was going into previously. At times it faults and then I have to power down to reset it. HELP!!!!! I have tried and tried to retune it but nothing seems to work. Any ideas??

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Motor tuning dillema
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »
Does the X go both ways with MDI commands or via G Code?

What kind of motors/drives do you have?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »
The drives are Keling KL-9082, and the steppers are 1290oz/in Nema 34.

Rapid traverse seems to work fine, but if I try to run at a lower feed rate I get the growl. It almost seems like it's fighting itself.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:03:41 PM »
The other axis are ok?
Can you attach your xml please, might be a config problem.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
Both the X and Y are working great.

I really appreciate the help on this, Hood.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
Ok xml is basic and dont see any issues with pins, I am wondering if your steps per unit are correct as 2000 per inch doesnt sound much.
Do you have any reduction between motors and screws?
What setting do you have the drives microstepping set to?
What pitch are the screws?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
Sorry it takes so much time to respond. I've been putting out so many fires in this place that I'm considering calling the arson squad. ;)
The screw pitch is 5 turns/in. The reduction ratio is 2:1. I have the drive set for 400 microsteps/ revolution. The current setting in the drive setup is 8026.
Since I see 8026 in the setup, shouldn't that be reflected in the xml ? ???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »
The xml you sent didnt have that.
Now 400 microsteps, is that 1/2 stepping I wonder, ie 400 steps per motor rev?
If it is then it should be 400 x 2 x 5 = 4000 steps per unit.
Double check all the drives are at the same setting, it could be your X has been set to something else.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:08:55 AM »
Sorry, Hood. In my haste to try to do 15 things at once, I sent the wrong xml and misread the dip switches on the drive. Here's the REAL file and The drive is configured for 800 microsteps, not 400.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
Ok your acceleration for the X is extremely low, might be worth increasing it to similar to your Y.
Apart from that it looks ok.
Recheck all dip switches are the same between X and Y and also no wiring has been swapped by the guy. If all that check out then may be an idea to swap drives from X to Y and vice versa and see if he problem swaps.
Hood