Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:34:06 AM

Author Topic: Anyone using TTFtoDXF or Vectric Cut 2-D?  (Read 5966 times)

Anyone using TTFtoDXF or Vectric Cut 2-D?
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »
In searching for engraving fonts for signs on this forum, I came across a post about TTFtoDXF from couple years ago.  I guess the software grew up and changed from free to $100.  The price isn't that bad, but thought I would ask if anyone is using it and their experience with it.  

The Sawmill Creek CNC guys are all advocates of Aspire and Vectric V-Carve Pro.  They seem the best turnkey product for signs.  Their price is quite a bit outside my budget and I wouldn't use a forth of the V-Carve Pro options.  The Vectric Cut-2D doesn't seem to have the sign fonts or any type of design functions, although the Vectric forum gallery for it shows some nice work.

I know that I could download the demos and answer most questions, but I am burned out with trying demo programs.  My signs will be in the 16" wide by 10" tall size range (and smaller) made in sassafrass wood.  I prefer using Whiteside 60 degree v-groove bits.  The tab option of Cut-2D is a real temptation to me.  Right now I am using BobCAD v21 to make all the designs and am not happy with any fonts I can find or come with BCC.  

Does TTFtoDXF or Cut-2D have many single line fonts for basic V-carving text?

Can TTFtoDXF input to Lazycam with good results?

Is there another inexpensive software to convert the TTFtoDXF into g-code that Mach3 likes?

Do you need a CAD program to clean up and customize Cut-2D?  (Vectric stresses lack of design ability with Cut-2D)

What CAD programs do you use with TTFtoDXF?  (I have BobCAD V21)

Does Cut-2D direct output and Mach3 play nice?

Steve.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using TTFtoDXF or Vectric Cut 2-D?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »
Steve,

Cut2D has all the fonts you would need and it will output the GCode direct to Mach if required. It does not VCarve so you would only be able to profile cut or pocket route etc. It uses ramp plunge rather than leadin / leadout so it is more use for woodworking than plasma etc.
You should really try the demo version to make sure it is what you want but IMO it does what it does well and represents good value for money.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
Tweakie,

If Cut2D has the single line fonts and will output g-code, why can't I just use a 60 degree bit to effectively have a v-carve font sign? 

Am I missing something?

By V-Carve, I only mean to cut the font and not to create the fancy graphics.

Are the fonts in Cut2D all hollow?

Steve.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »
Steve,

As far as I am aware it does not have engraving type single line fonts so, as I said earlier, you would not be able to VCarve you would only be able to profile or pocket route.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:34:35 PM »
Tweakie,

Do you have Cut2d?

Steve.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
V-Carve pro comes with a few single line fonts (15-20), but I've never used Cut 2D. You'll need to download the demo and spend 5 minutes to find out if it has any. I have a feeling it doesn't, based on what I just read on their website.

ttf to .dxf won't have any single line fonts, as it converts True Type fonts, which are not single line. Afaik, it's been $100 for at least 10 years.

Do you need a CAD program to clean up and customize Cut-2D?  (Vectric stresses lack of design ability with Cut-2D)

Not sure what you mean by clean up and customize. I believe that Cut 2D can only draw rectangles, and circles, or ellipses. If you need to draw other shapes, you need another package than can export in a format that Cut2D can import. You might want to look at Inkscape, as it's free. If you do use Inkscape, you'll want to download a better .dxf exporter than the built in one. This one is supposed to work good.
http://www.bigbluesaw.com/saw/big-blue-saw-blog/general-updates/big-blue-saws-dxf-export-for-inkscape.html

What CAD programs do you use with TTFtoDXF?
Any program that opens .dxf files should work fine with it.

If you have BobCAD, it should be able to do everything and more that Cut2D can do. I would think that it can also do V Carving, and convert ttf's to vectors for machining?

Does Cut-2D direct output and Mach3 play nice?

Yes, all Vectric software works very well with Mach3.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
"If you have BobCAD, it should be able to do everything and more that Cut2D can do. I would think that it can also do V Carving, and convert ttf's to vectors for machining? "

No knock to BobCAD, that is true and what I have been doing.  The included single line fonts and other single line fonts that I have downloaded are bland or more appropriate for 4" tall lettering.  I was just looking for a product that would make the transition from text to cutting path much easier and give a better range of fonts.  

"If you do use Inkscape, you'll want to download a better .dxf exporter than the built in one."

I use inkscape quite a bit to reduce nodes in Corel DXF output.  I'll check my exporter and see if that will work better for me.

Steve.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:59:12 AM »
There are single line fonts available that you can purchase for CNC machining.....sorry been a long time since I searched and don't have any links.
If your not satisfied with any of them you can make your own which would be unique. Have a look at some Calligraphy books.
To make your own just draw them out in CAD. One advantage would be minimizing the generated code as you would use arcs instead of just straight lines
 for the curved sections. I will remark that making your own does take time.

Another approach  would be to generate the gcode and then backplot the code to a dxf file and clean up as you wish. Again, most will end up as straight line segments for the curved sections of the text.

FWIW,
RICH