Hello Guest it is November 22, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Author Topic: probe  (Read 20965 times)

Re: probe
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »
Dave,
I have an Android too, HTC Desire.

Typing with my big fingers is a bit awkward. javascript:void(0);

I have downloaded the necessary files and will give them a try tomorrow.

Jos
Holland
www.mraven.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
Jos,
Let me know if you have any questions -
best way to reach me is either direct or at the MSM forum.

BTW - if you are just getting started with probing, you may also be interested in this post on the MSM forum:
http://calypsoventures.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=msmsupport&action=display&thread=5

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 04:05:56 AM »
OK Dave,

I have got it up and running.
After filling in some parameters in the probing it came to life.

I even got my sample G-code running quite quickly. But as the screens are very extensive I need some time to
get comfortable with all that.
Bear in mind that I am a relative newbie with cnc.

A lot to learn!
Solidworks 2010, Bobcad V24 and Mach3. It all keeps me off the street, grin.

Jos
Holland
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »
Hi Dave,

Sorry but now I need some help.

After the first probing test, that worked on all tests, I shut my PC down.

Two hours later, the info I had put in in all the fields was gone. All back to zero.

So I did the input as far as I remembered ( I should have made a screendump) but I got faults.

On Z probing the probe did go down to Z-level and up, but kept on going up until the top of the Z-axis.
I had filled in for Z Clearance 10.00 as I assumed it was in millimeters.
Correcting this to 0.25 lifted the Z-probe to about 10mm.
I was certain I had filled in 10mm earlier this morning.

How do I know / set the screens for Metric millimeters??

Also the Probe Tool# is not remembered by the system.

Doing a corner probing now I get the fault; StepoffWidth <= EffprobeRadius + M -------
How do I correct this??

I was lucky early this morning it seem, all ran well but not after shutdown.

Regards,
Jos
Holland
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
Hi Jos,
Yep, getting into CNC with Mach can make for a steep learning curve  ;)

With MSM you are adding additional functionality beyond a stock mach setup - so some more reading is probably in you future  ;D  - fortunately, MSM has a pretty good user manual.

Here are some answers to your questions...
1) MSM uses mach's regular facilities for storing values entered into DROs. Whether mach remembers DRO values between mach sessions is controlled by a Mach configuration setting.
Please use the mach menu for Config/general config and in the General Logic Configuration dialog look in the area at the lower right of the dialog. There you will find the following options:
Tool Selections persistent (controls if mach remembers what tool is mounted)
Persistent offsets (controls if mach remembers work coordinate offsets between sessions)
Persistent DROs - this is the one that controls whether Mach remembers DRO values between sessions.
I suspect you do not have this checked, check it and your values will be saved between mach sessions.

The mach configuration options are documented in the mach "install and config" manual which is available from a button on the MSM reference page.

2) probe operations use the units of the "setup units" of the machine. Thus if the machine has metric setup units the probing feeds and distances are also metric for units.

3) The probe tool # is DRO value - with persistent DROs off, it to will be lost between sessions.

4) The message about step off width etc -
A side effect of having mach configured to not remember DRO values (step of width is a probing parameter DRO value).

The probing parameters are documented in section 8.4 of the user manual - you can look there to see what each one is. Again, the user manual is available from a button on the MSM reference page.

5) Finally, while I'm happy to answer questions, Please drop over to the MSM user forum at www.CalypsoVentures.Proboards.com if you have more questions.
I monitor the MSM user forum but may or may not see a post about MSM here in the bargin basement area of the Mach forums.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:46:51 AM by DaveCVI »
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
Hello Dave;
below some things I found during a session with MSM

Hi Jos,
Yep, getting into CNC with Mach can make for a steep learning curve  ;)

With MSM you are adding additional functionality beyond a stock mach setup - so some more reading is probably in you future  ;D  - fortunately, MSM has a pretty good user manual.

Here are some answers to your questions...
1) MSM uses mach's regular facilities for storing values entered into DROs. Whether mach remembers DRO values between mach sessions is controlled by a Mach configuration setting.
Please use the mach menu for Config/general config and in the General Logic Configuration dialog look in the area at the lower right of the dialog. There you will find the following options:
Tool Selections persistent (controls if mach remembers what tool is mounted)
>>> Is Not checked.

Persistent offsets (controls if mach remembers work coordinate offsets between sessions)
>>>  Is checked.

Persistent DROs - this is the one that controls whether Mach remembers DRO values between sessions.
>>> Is checked.
I suspect you do not have this checked, check it and your values will be saved between mach sessions.
>>> Ans Optional Offset Save is checked.

The mach configuration options are documented in the mach "install and config" manual which is available from a button on the MSM reference page.
>>> Downloaded it and started reading it.

2) probe operations use the units of the "setup units" of the machine. Thus if the machine has metric setup units the probing feeds and distances are also metric for units.
>>> It is back to Metric now, I do not know what caused it.

3) The probe tool # is DRO value - with persistent DROs off, it to will be lost between sessions.
>>> I used Tool #10 for my Probe Tool. Arbitrarely.

4) The message about step off width etc -
A side effect of having mach configured to not remember DRO values (step of width is a probing parameter DRO value).
>>> Yes, fiigured that out.

The probing parameters are documented in section 8.4 of the user manual - you can look there to see what each one is. Again, the user manual is available from a button on the MSM reference page.

5) Finally, while I'm happy to answer questions, Please drop over to the MSM user forum at www.CalypsoVentures.Proboards.com if you have more questions.
I monitor the MSM user forum but may or may not see a post about MSM here in the bargin basement area of the Mach forums.
>>> I already registered and did some reading on various subjects.
>>> Anymore questions I will ask there and free bandwith on this forum.
I have got it running again and made a screendump for assisting my memory.
Thanks,

Jos

Dave

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »
Has anybody actually used the probe from this seller?
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 10:45:44 PM »
I think that Arnie no longer sells the probes direct, but they're now available from
http://www.wildhorse-innovations.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=80

I have a couple of the wild horse probes and also know several others that use them.

Dave

www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
I think that Arnie no longer sells the probes direct, but they're now available from
http://www.wildhorse-innovations.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=80

I have a couple of the wild horse probes and also know several others that use them.

Dave

Thanks Dave, the price sure seems good!  As a NOOB just starting out I don't need added problems of cheap tools that don't work well.
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »
Hi,
There are also other probes around in the "couple of hundred $" range - some more info is here:

http://calypsoventures.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=msmsupport&thread=61&page=1

Dave
www.CalypsoVentures.com