Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:26:07 PM

Author Topic: Any Known Issues?  (Read 3142 times)

Any Known Issues?
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:22:55 PM »
Are there any known problems with the current development revision of Mach 3 and SS?
How about the anticipated V4?
I do fairly mundane stuff, but seem to remember past problems with threading and probing. Is that all cured?

Many thanks,
Ozzie

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Any Known Issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
Threading has worked fine for the last two years. I do edge probing all the time, but not 3D probing (but have not heard of any problem with it.) The big thing that a few people gripe about is backlash compensation. There was a test plug-in with back lash comp posted on the Warp9 forum last night though.

I put the SS in 99% of my drive boxes and have sold loads of them separately as well. My experience is that 99% of folks love them.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
Thanks Jeff.
Where is this warp9 forum?
What is the problem with the backlash comp; seems that would be rather important to those of us with less than perfect machines.
Ozzie

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
The forum is at warp9td.com.

What is the problem with the backlash comp; seems that would be rather important to those of us with less than perfect machines.

No machine is perfect, that being said open loop backlash compensation can cause as many problems as it sets out to solve. If you have ever used a manual mill that has a lot of backlash you are well aware that the cutting forces can cause the table to move in unexpected ways. Thus trying to keep track of backlash and compensate for it may be impossible in many cases. When you are measuring one axis at a time with no external (cutting) forces applied backlash comp seems like it works great. In the real world you often get different results. I'm not saying open loop backlash compensation "can't" help in some cases but rather I like everyone to know that it is not a cure-all for a sloppy machine.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt