Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:08:58 PM

Author Topic: Servo Motor question  (Read 17366 times)

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
  • Time is the same in a relative way
    • View Profile
Re: Servo Motor question
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 05:18:09 PM »
Well a whole .lot of time has gone by now! I was unfortunate enough to have a very serious car accident on the 31st of march this year, and have spent the last 6 months in rehab, that is after I got out of emergency and then intensive care. The ambulance drivers said it was the worst accident they had seen where the driver lived. Apparently I was unconscious for 6 weeks. Consequently all I had time to do was take delivery of the mill and that's it.
I suffered a brain injury at the same time, so now even though I went through a lot of planning before ordering the mill, I now don't remember anything much.

Oh well looks like it's time to start again.

Cheers

Dave
Cheers

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 02:53:08 AM »
Good to hear you are on the mend.
Hood

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »
I can't remember why I chose the knee mill now, and I don't know why I ordered what from GSK and from Adtech. I appear to have a set of servos and drivers for the lathe from Adtech, as well as most things needed to CNC the mill from GSK including an off the shelf CNC controller! The CNC controller is a GSK 980MDa. I don't know why I bought a dedicated CNC controller, but I am hoping that I can use it to compare mach3 to the "off the shelf" product and depending on the results, keep it, or resell it.
Both GSK and Adtech were very good while I was in hospital and ensured that their stuff found its way into my shed. Even to the extent of calling in favours from other people in this country to pay for things like GST on my behalf, for which I am extremely grateful.

Having forgotten why I purchased what I did, I thought I would start with the lathe, since it has already had a CNC conversion, just using steppers and Gecko drives instead of servos and their propriety drives. So it should be an exercise in memory refreshing to replace the existing steppers for servos. I suspect that I planned to replace the 3phase main motor and VFD with a servo as well (at least I have 3 x servos from Adtech).

I thought I might start by getting one of the Lathe servos running, perhaps on the bench, and getting it under computer control with mach3 and my smoothstepper.

At this point any advice would be gratefully appreciated, as I  think I said earlier in this thread this is my first foray into the world of servos. Add to that my memory loss from the accident and I anticipate that this will be tough, but a good mental exercise.

Have a great Xmas BTW.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:13:52 PM by DMBGO »
Cheers

David
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 03:26:55 AM »
A very interesting story. However, I understand very little English.
So you built your milling machine

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »
Hi Shurupand,
I am still building it after all this time. The accident was worse than I thought initially and I now have severe problems with my short term memory. The new Mill has been sitting in my shed unused for over 2 years.
Cheers

David