Author Topic: Write a plugin for USB  (Read 19142 times)

Offline Peta

• View Profile
Re: Write a plugin for USB
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »
Hi
I am also looking for plugin for usb.
Has any one made it?
Please guide me with this.

About a year ago I was also interested in finding a USB plugin for Mach3 and had no success in my search so I decided to make one myself using VS2013 and PIC microcontroller. After some months working on it on my free time I moved from PIC to arduino as it is less time consuming and some days ago I finally got my CNC working with the system I created. You can see the first test here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O385I6P_o8o

As you can see the motors do not move perfectly because I used DC motors with low resolution encoders (16 steps per revolution) and the control is based on a PID algorithm so it will always have some error between desired position and current position (about 5 steps) but it has an advantage: it will never lose steps permanently as the PID algorithm is constantly correcting the error.

As I said here http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,27232.0.html I have the intention to share the plugin and the firmware as it would be helpful for some hobbyst who is not ready to buy a commercial motion controller.

I am working on some improvements now. Shortly I will post another video milling something and if there is sufficient interest I will release the pluging.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

• Global Moderator
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
Excellent work Peta.

I am looking forward to seeing your next video and hearing more about your achievements with the plugin.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.

Offline Peta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 11:33:56 AM »
Thank you Tweakie.CNC

I forgot to mention an important thing:

The controller is just for servo motors (DC motor with encoder) but I do think it's not too hard to adapt it for stepper motors.