Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:28:49 AM

Author Topic: Maybe silly question - Feed hold or Stop  (Read 3107 times)

Maybe silly question - Feed hold or Stop
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:21:06 PM »
I have had a few scenarios where I need to stop the machine for whatever reason during a cut. Like today, my coolant got low because it clogged the line and shut off. I hit the stop button, the machine stopped, I filled up the coolant and cleared the line. But when I hit cycle start, the machine lost its path and started cutting outside the path.

When stuff like this occurs, should the Feed hold button be used? If so, and I use it, will it pick up where it left off without crashing the part?

Is there something else I should do in this instance?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Maybe silly question - Feed hold or Stop
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:28 PM »
If you want to resume, use feedhold.
If it's an emergency, and you need it to stop fast, hit stop.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:35:11 PM »
Yes, that is what the Feed Hold is for. Mach will stop at a convenient point so it can resume without missing a beat.
There is more about it in the manual or do a Search for "Feed hold", lots of info there too.

If you do hit stop, you have to find where you want to restart in the code, then do a Run From Here. Mach will then run  through the code to that point and set the modal codes then ask for a preperatory move. Then you can start from there. More about this in the manual also.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:09:35 AM »
Also worth mentioning is you should only ever press Stop (unless an emergency)  when motion is stopped, if not you will almost certainly have lost position as Stop just suddenly halts all pulses so there is no deceleration of your motors and it is likely they have moved more than Mach thinks.
Hood