Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:19:55 PM

Author Topic: Uneven cut on letters  (Read 8090 times)

Uneven cut on letters
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:27:25 PM »
I'm getting an uneven cut on letters in some spots. Everything is snug with no play on the machine, with all axis running smoothly. I noticed when it changes direction it has a bit of a jolt to it. I have Exact Stop enabled, with CV unchecked.
Acme 10 single start screws with Dumpster leadnuts
305 steppers 1/4 stepped
At present I'm running at 35 IPM on all axis

Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Uneven cut on letters
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »
Run in CV mode. My thoughts are that the letters are made up of segmented lines, and your getting a bit of bouncing of your router when it starts and stops at each segment.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »
I just went and checked, and I was wrong. It is set in the CV mode, but distance and feed rate are off. The letters I am cutting were designed in a friends Vcarve Pro software.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:24:36 PM by mlk1950 »
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:39:48 AM »
If you post your GCode I can check it on my machine and this will at least rule out the possibility of a problem with the code.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:20:14 AM »
How do I go about posting that?
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »
Use the  additional options button on the reply page to browse your drive and attach the file.
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:15:16 AM »
Same way as posting pictures.
The file must have a name that has not been used before on the forum and a file extension must be from the approved list shown.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:31:11 PM »
Here ya go Tweakie. This was done in a profle tool path. I noticed when I did a dry run the Z was creeping up and then sometimes it would drop. I made some letters in my Cut2d in an inside profile tool path and the Z stayed steady as a rock. The only time it raised and lowered was going from one letter to another. Which I think is what it should be doing. Correct?

Thanks Mike
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:38:32 PM by mlk1950 »
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
Went and bought VCarve Pro 6. Did an inside profile on some large letters, an the Z was steady. Must have been bad code. All is good now, Thank you for the help.

Thanks Mike
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »
Here ya go Tweakie. This was done in a profle tool path. I noticed when I did a dry run the Z was creeping up and then sometimes it would drop. I made some letters in my Cut2d in an inside profile tool path and the Z stayed steady as a rock. The only time it raised and lowered was going from one letter to another. Which I think is what it should be doing. Correct?

Thanks Mike

Mike, if it is "single" line text I believe you should run the toolpath "on" the vectors. If the vectors are true type fonts you should use a "vcarve" toolpath. If you would like you can PM me and send me the Vcarve file and I'll take a look at it for you.

Mike