Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:20:24 AM

Author Topic: Bosch Collet  (Read 8264 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Bosch Collet
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:08:19 AM »
There a wider selection of small bore end mills with 1/8” shank but my Bosh Colt has only 1/4" collet.

Anyone knows where to get an adapter to convert 1/4" collet to 1/8”
Nicolas

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Bosch Collet
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:24:30 AM »
PEACE

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:02:31 AM »
Tweakie, you are a life saver
Nicolas

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »
The PreciseBits precision collets are awesome. I get the same response from everyone that buys them, "WOW". It's amazing that these router manufacturers do such a good job on the spindle bore and such a lousy job on the collets.

http://www.soigeneris.com/PreciseBits_Bosch_Colt_Precision_Collets-details.aspx
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »
This is another option...

And then you add all the run-out from the lousy stock collets to the spilt adapter bushings and you get really, really bad runout. It is not uncommon to see 0.005"~0.007" runout in stock router collets and you only compound that by trying to use an adapter bushing. That is very detrimental to the life of your bits. A few dollar spent now on precision collets will pay for itself many times over in bit life.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Thank you all guys but I only do hobby work and the price Pricesebits is charging is not suitable for me at this stage, perhaps later.

I decided to buy the MLCS 1/4 to 1/8 and 1/4 to 3/16 plus I will buy the A25-1250 from this cite

http://www.gpcollets.com/adapter_cross.html

Nicolas
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »
I use the MLCS adapters in a full size Porter-Cable router and they work fine.  Jeff is probably right about the run-out.  I've never checked it, but I only engrave plastic and cut wood with the router, so a little run-out isn't a deal breaker.

I must admit though, $20 for a good quality collet isn't bad.  If I switch to a Colt router, I'll go that route.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
I've never checked it, but I only engrave plastic and cut wood with the router, so a little run-out isn't a deal breaker.

This is the same boat most folks are in. Since most of us don't have good indicator to measure run-out with we just go with it as things seem to work OK. It is hard to picture that a few thousandths of run-out are that big a deal. If you just using a handheld router, by hand, a few times a year than I would say it really is not a big deal. If your using a handheld router, by hand, several hours a day or your using one on a CNC machine then it really is a big deal.

Bits are not cheap, you can spend $20 or $30 on a simple carbide tipped router bit very easily. Even at $10 a piece they add up fast. It does not take too long before you realize that the router motor was cheap compared to the bits. Now if you consider that excessive run-out can cause bits to wear much faster (and many times they will just break well before they are really dull) it starts to make sense that if your bits last longer you will save money even considering the price of the precision collets.

I must admit though, $20 for a good quality collet isn't bad.  If I switch to a Colt router, I'll go that route.

You do need the matching collet nut and wrench. The Standard Grade Colt is about $55 so it is not a huge amount.

I don't want to belabor the point, but having come down the same path of 'a little run-out is not a big deal' myself not to many years ago, I try to spread the word about how much better the precise collets work.