Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:59:45 AM

Author Topic: feed rate help  (Read 2687 times)

feed rate help
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »
Not knowing what I am doing I burnt up my CNC controller. I then put an older cnc controller on my machine and have it working.

I am having trouble with feed rates. Attached is cross-01.zip - this is the gcode file exported from vcarve of the eternal cross approx 2 inches in diameter. I have the feed rate set to 20. Even though in Mach3 it says feed rate 20 on the screen it still going as if it were set to 100.

Also attached is my XML file for mach in ghetto-cnc.zip

Thanks -
Keith

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: feed rate help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
It seems to be working fine here in simulation. In fact as your motor tuning is set to 15 for Velocity that is as fast as it goes. I did a MDI move from X0  to X15 at a feed of 15 and it took exactly 1 minute.

Is the size accurate when you command a move?

Run the driver test with Mach closed down and see what the line looks like.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:03:36 PM »
I have no problems with the size. Size is spot on for what I measure for when I cut. With the controller I had in the box that is the highest I can set the velocity before it chokes. Even with the one I had before I burnt it up talking about in the other thread. That is why I was asking about speed and then learned I really don't know enough.

I don't understand enough to know what motor is needed for what type of use or many of the answers everyone asking me in that other thread. So I have been reading a lot and trying to get a better understanding and keep realizing how little I really know.

Figure can't go wrong with the G540. For now I have a 36v 10amp power supply until I can afford anything bigger. Need to get a better understanding of my motor needs before doing anything else. I know what I will use the machine for but not sure how to figure out my motor needs.

I am going to order the G540 this coming payday. Wish I could order it today and have it before the weekend.
Currently reading the documents for it from here -
http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?i=14469

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
I just ordered the G540. Not sure how long it will take to ship to my house. But I am excited to have one of the major components coming and no more generic cards.