Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 08:53:27 AM

Author Topic: Multiple Parallel Ports and XP Profiles  (Read 2486 times)

Multiple Parallel Ports and XP Profiles
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »
Hello everyone.

I'd like to use Mach3 to control my CNC Lathe and CNC Router/Mill (not at the same time) without having to constantly swap the cables over. So... I've had the idea of installing all the parallel breakout boards, control electronics and shared main power supply in one 19" rackmount server case and installing a PC with 5 parallel ports in another, there lies the problem...

Is it possible to have multiple parallel port cards in my PC as long as I disable at least 2 out of 5 of them in each boot-up hardware profile.

I'm in the hope it would go something like this...

@ boot-up I'd have 3 options to choose from...

1. Boot to PC mode would allow only access to LPT1 on the motherboard so I can print and use the PC normally (non-CNC mode).
2. Boot to Lathe mode would disable motherboard LPT port and enable PCI LPT 1 & 2 for Lathe operation.
3. Boot to Mill mode would disable Motherboard LPT and enable PCI LPT 4 & 5 for Mill operation...

Am I barking up the wrong tree to expect to be able to do this please?

Regards

Graham

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Parallel Ports and XP Profiles
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »
If your PC will install 5 ports (only ever had 2 before) then no need to disable anything. Just have the two
 profiles for your machines and have the appropriate port address for whichever machine is connected to these ports. Start the Mach profile you want and all should be well.
Hood
Re: Multiple Parallel Ports and XP Profiles
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 07:56:18 PM »
If your PC will install 5 ports (only ever had 2 before) then no need to disable anything. Just have the two
 profiles for your machines and have the appropriate port address for whichever machine is connected to these ports. Start the Mach profile you want and all should be well.
Hood

That's what I was a little confused about, because a PC will only recognise 3 LPT ports connected to it at any one time and I wanted to disable the motherboard port when running CNC stuff.