Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:28:54 PM

Author Topic: steppers or software  (Read 2837 times)

steppers or software
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »
I just got done building my new controller box for my spectralight/Sherline lathe & got most of the Mach3 setup. In manual mode, I set jog to incramental of .010 & when running the axis back & forth with an indicator. I get iratic readings, meaning the step are not consistant every time. I have set the backlash. I am starting to think one of my steppers is bad (X-Axis) & maybe the z axis is going. It gives me between .009 - .011 for each step in iether direction. These are the original round steppers.

Or....Am I missing something in the software?

Anyone else experience this themselves?

Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: steppers or software
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:48:57 PM »
Are you using Sherline mode?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
No, I tried the shirline mode once before & it produced some straing things, but I did change a few other things since then. I'll try the shirline mode again.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
If you are using sherline drives then you will definitely need it, also quite a few of the hobby drives require the wide pulse it gives. Make sure your kernel is set to 25KHz also as it is unlikely you will need more with steppers.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
Hi Dave,
 Instead of running the axis + then - to check the accuracy, run it in the same direction multiple steps to eliminate a possible backlash entry error.
Also, what is the resolution ? If it is quite coarse, it could be rounding up or down to the next step increment.
The DRO should read in 4 decimal places, what are your exact readings ?  0.????
Russ