Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:38:32 AM

Author Topic: recommendation for training  (Read 2291 times)

recommendation for training
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »
I am looking to gain enough training to tackle the task of building a fairly small CNC lathe (10-12" X 36 " Standard Modern), and medium sized mill.  My background is Machinist, with millwright experience. I have a basic electrical/electronic understanding, but lack the specific knowledge to tackle this type of project. I would like to take a correspondence course for electronics, or robotics.  Any suggestions on which one might serve me better? 

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: recommendation for training
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:06:13 AM »
Just my 2.0c

By it's very nature all forms of training have to be general rather than specific in other words you will learn a lot more than you really need to know for the task you have in hand. A good example of this is:-  I use many different design programs which create the GCode automatically using a post processor therefore I only need a minimal working knowledge of GCode to get by. So in my case, taking a GCode training course would be interesting but hardly necessary. It is pretty much the same with electronics, most of the stuff associated with CNC is digital and there is little to be gained learning analog formulae and theory. I am not trying to discourage learning, far from it, it is just that 'hands on' experience targets the exact areas where learning is necessary.
I think that what I am trying to say here is that there is no substitute for practical experience - as soon as you come up against something that you don't know then research it to find out. This way time, which when it comes to CNC there is never enough of, is not lost.

Tweakie.
PEACE