Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:45:50 PM

Author Topic: pdmx 122 configure for mach  (Read 3804 times)

pdmx 122 configure for mach
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:23:52 AM »
Hi, I've bought my 2 breakout boards, looking through the literature that came with them, I can't work out if I should set jp5 to "1 to2" to configure it as o/p only, or "2 to 3" so it's controlled from the "-select in" signal from the PP. Which is normal for Mach 3 on XP sp3?
Ta!
Rich B

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: pdmx 122 configure for mach
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »
Without looking at the docs I think I just left them in the default position, what ever that was ::) However the last one I did was at least a year, probably more, ago so I am maybe wrong.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »
Mine is set as default also, as OUT as I am only using 1 board and the associated pins are for stp and dir out to the drives.
If you want the second board for inputs, then I guess it would go 2 to 3, depending on the signal being active HI or LO, or leave the jumper off for all inputs.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:45:08 AM by Overloaded »
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »
Thanks both,

I'm using the status inputs on both boards for home and limit plus a supplementary signal, so J 1-4 on both boards will be step and direction only. So both boards need to be set to output only mode?  If I set the boards as both output only, I can still use inputs to the status input pins, can't I?

I just want to have a manual E stop button that stops the machine when I hit it, all the status inputs usable, and my six step/dir and (+5v) common's all working.... is the picture in the manual showing how to connect up gecko drivers the right one to let me do this? (My drivers need step, dir, and +5V for their optos.) If so, I'll happily just copy the jumper settings on that diagram, instead of trying to understand it... Not sure if I need the charge pump;- does enabling the charge pump in Mach increase the load on the CPU much?

Also, as I have E stop capability on both boards, should I wire the E stop button to both boards, so as to disable both data buses at the same time? Or would that produce the same effect as just applying the E stop signal to only one board? Bearing in mind I have 6 axes, 4 on one board and 2 of the 4 on the second one. I'm thinking it would be good to free one of the Estop pins up to use as another input, in case the need arises.

Thanks,

Rich B

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
Knew I'd left something out. I've attached the image from the manual, this time...!

Rich B