Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:50:03 PM

Author Topic: "run from here"  (Read 5731 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: "run from here"
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »
IF you need to isolate some of your code like you do for drilling the holes then consider using block delete. That way if you don't require it turn on block delete and mach will bypass that code.

As to the USB (;-) it depends on the computer. I have one that runs the code from the usb STICK everyday without problems. MACH is memory mapped . that means it loads the entire Gcode program into SYS memory so it NEVER has to reread anything from the drive. SO it should not matter to mach where it came from originally.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »
When the guy that wrote Mach said
I do read some reports of people using usb sticks for their program.. very
bad idea as Ive said many times. A disk works much less intrusively and requires
far fewer interrupts to be processed than a usb stick. ( USB drivers can vary
alot too between systems as well.).

I took it on board. I  used to run on the network or USB and never had an issue but after I saw Art say that the first time, maybe 5yrs ago, I have always run from the HDD ever since.

Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
I don't disagree with the HD as the BEST approach. But I dought the usb had anything to do with his original problem with RFH (;-)

MAYBE one of the VB gurus can come up with a Button utility to load a program from the USB stcik into the Gcode directory and then autoload it into mach from the HD. All with the push of a button

Just a thought, (;-) TP

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:38:22 PM by BR549 »