Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:04:03 AM

Author Topic: Bridgeport series 2 only stall on y when spindle running. Why???  (Read 3368 times)

I am having trouble with the y stalling when fast jogging on my bridgeport series 2.   It only stalls during fast jog and , this is important,  WHILE the Spindle is running.  I am using ss relays to turn on  my spindle.  If I have the power off to the spindle and just activate the relay, the magnetic switch comes on as it should.  This does not cause the y to stall.  Only when I actually have the spindle running does it stall and only fast jogging and also rapids using mdi.  Only in the Y!   I can rapid at 125 on x and y with 10 acceleration when not having this problem.  I have the debounce set to 10000 but had it at 500 no difference.  Pulse width makes no difference. set a t 4 now 

I have switched geko drives to the other axis.
I have switched the pins on my cnc4pc bob
I have put a new wire on the step for the y

I am running keling motors

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 
I have included my xml setting
Sincerely Mark

Offline kf2qd

•  148 148
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgeport series 2 only stall on y when spindle running. Why???
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Check power supply wiring - sounds like the Y-Axis drive is not getting full voltage when the spindle motor is running. Low voltage = lower current = motor stalling at high speed.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:17:50 PM »
Sounds like noise, is your spindle wiring running close to your Y axis wiring?

Hood
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:26:26 PM by Hood »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »
Sorry kf2qd, never noticed your reply before I posted

Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
No I don't think it can be low voltage because the spindle motor is run off of a three phase converter.  None of my wiring is shielded.  You may laugh at this but I took My y step wire and covered it with tin foil, about a 12 inch by 12 inch piece.  Guess what.  Problem solved.  It no longer stalls in the y with the spindle running.  Has anyone ever done that before.? 
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »
There are two things I can't figure out about Mach.  This is unrelated to my stalling problem now fixed.  One is how can you see the feed rate when jogging?  After reinstalling Mach I lost this feature.  the other is I get an error in the circle cutting wizard brian barker. It says max limit>soft limit or something like that.  I need to go to the shop and confirm that.  Anyway it wont allow me to use the program.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:01:20 AM »
Not sure what you mean about the feedrate when jogging but you see the speed in the DRO on the main page. If however you are meaning how you know what % of rapid you will jog at then that is accessed from the flyout screen which you get to by pressing the tab on your keyboard.

Sounds like you have soft limits set and the code would take you outwith these soft limits.
Hood