Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:29:31 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and CorelDRAW.  (Read 24567 times)

Offline LB

•  9 9
    • View Profile
Mach 3 and CorelDRAW.
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:04:33 AM »
Good Morning,

I have been using BobCad v21, but we are switching everything over to CorelDRAW.  We are having problems with Mach 3 "reading" the CorelDRAW programs.  What do I need to do???   

TIA for any suggestions.

LB
Re: Mach 3 and CorelDRAW.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »
If you're planning to use CorelDRAW to create DXF files as you have discovered this works poorly.

To solve this problem I use a simple program called DXFTool. This program is a plugin for CorelDRAW and it creates excellent DXF files from CorelDRAW drawings. After the files are exported with the DXF tool I can open them in AutoCAD if I want to make further refinements, or go right into SheetCAM to set up the tool paths etc. Then the G code file that Mach3 needs is created using the post processor in SheetCam

DXFTool is found here - http://www.coreldrawtools.com/

SheetCam is found here - http://www.sheetcam.com/

Kerry Harrison

Offline LB

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »
Kerry,

Thank you for the information.   The only reason we switched was, we were told by several CNC users in the area, that CorelDRAW was much easier to work with.    Hmmmmm, I beginning to wonder........

LB

Offline LB

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
Instead of using SheetCAM, would I be able to use Vectric Cut2D? 

Thanks,
Lu
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 12:15:26 AM »
Yes.

I have not used Cut2D but from what I see on their website it has more features then SheetCAM. Seems like downloading the free trial would be the next step.  :)

It would be interesting to see how well it handles a dxf file created by Corel without the DXFTool. Don't know if you have Corel but if so I would try that before buying the DXFTool.

Just some personal thoughts on CorelDRAW. I use it because we run a printing business as well as a machine shop and have used Corel since version 3 so I am very familiar with it. For graphics work making things like signs and especially for projects with text it's great. However for machining projects that require a high degree of precision I find AutoCAD is a better choice.

Kerry

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:43:27 AM »
Kerry,

Do you use the standard DXF Tool or the Professional version ?

I am thinking that at $190 the professional version does seem a little steep.  :-\

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline LB

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:28:50 AM »
Kerry,

I am going to download the free trial of Cut2D today.  My boss purchased the DXFTool yesterday.  He got the professional version.

Several month ago, we were having problems with our CNC machine, so we had to out source our work to another company.  They used CorelDRAW for their program for our items.   It worked great for them.  Sadly, they did not inform us of everything we would need to get our system up and running.  And still won't share any of their "trade" secrets.

I will say tho, that CorelDRAW is so much easier to use than BobCad V21 for drawing out the plans.

Tweakie, we got the professional version because it offers so much more than the standard version.  That way if and when we expand our work load, we will already have the better program.  

Thanks for all the information.

LB
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:30:32 AM by LB »
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »
Tweakie,

I use the standard version.

Kerry

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
Instead of using SheetCAM, would I be able to use Vectric Cut2D? 

Thanks,
Lu

Yes, you can use any CAM program. The key is the DXF Tool to get a usable .dxf file
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline LB

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:29:32 AM »
Hi,

My company is going to purchase Vectric Cut2D.  Would it be wise to bundle our package and get the Cut2D and Cut3D?   What would be the big advantage to Cut3D?  The difference in price is $250.00.

TIA for any information.

LB