Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 10:44:20 AM

Author Topic: MicroProto G-Code VIRGIN simple question  (Read 7842 times)

MicroProto G-Code VIRGIN simple question
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
first post sorry to ask a dumb question but my boss is putting his boot in my A$$.

New microproto machine can jog around and have understanding of operation and movements.

question- i need to move to a spot and drill a hole and move and drill.  I can research peck drilling and practice the move.

BUT-  Do i write the code in note pad and save it? or what can i do?  I am successful using the MDI but i want to write a simple code, save it and open it so the machine will run the code.  I am  a TOTAL G-Code virgin.

please help ... it is hard to sit down.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: MicroProto G-Code VIRGIN simple question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
YEP notebook works, save as a  filename.txt .

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »
Hmm,
 Maybe ask the boss to buy you book on programing which would save having his shoes getting soiled.  :D
You'll  a pro in no time.........Smid CNC Programing Handbook .....highly recomended.

RICH
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »
thank you guys for the quick response.  I will check into that book.

I was sucessful at writing simple code in notepad and saving it as a .txt file and the machine moves as instructed.

However...when importing code it comes in as a large font and only will let me make about 5 movements and cuts every thing after 5 movements off even tho I programmed more operations. I changed the font in the notepad doc to 8 point font and that didnt allow more operations.

I appreciate forum members greatly as i am a major contributor on a laser forum.  I want to learn CNC basics, our major applications are very simple move and drill in plastics no power user functions necessary for me.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »
Can you post an example of your code??

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
x1.5
y-.5
z-.25
z.25
x2
y-1
z-.25
z.25
x0
y0

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »
I dont see any reason that the code would cut off. Those are individual lines correct?  Each line does have a line total of characters but I think it is around 255 characters.

Do you see any errors in the lowere staus box when it stops?

What are you creating code in that you import?

(;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44:42 PM »
Thank you BR549 for holding my hand.

They are individual lines of code (hitting return between each line) in MS notepad When i changed the font to 8 point I was finally able to get all 10 commands to show up on the g code list the font on the list appears to be large (screen resolution???)  No error messages show up in the status box.  I dont know how to take a screen shot or i would post that.

Thanks BR549

If you want to call me my phone number is 876-5309  ;D

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
Now are you saying that you cannot see the entire list of code?  Mach will only display so many lines of code in the display window. As the program runs the list scrolls down thru the Gcode program and the current line is highlighted.

IF you select single block then the code will run 1 line at a time each time you press cycle start.

You can also SET the FONT size of the display .

(;-) TP

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
you cant see me (thank God) because im doing the happy dance.

I was sucessful at importing 60 lines and operating them start to finish

HOWEVER....  ;D ;D ;D ;D How can I change the font size in the g code window.  All lines do show up and step properly but the font is cut off about 30 % of the bottom of each line.

Thanks obonekenobie...your my only hope  ;D