Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:22:22 AM

Author Topic: Ref Z axis & The Y axis moves Also!!  (Read 7839 times)

Re: Ref Z axis & The Y axis moves Also!!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »

Russ
 Regards the Step Pulse, that is correct as Step Pulse of Zero in the XML signifies a kernel of 25KHz, 1 would be 35KHz etc
Hood

Hi Hood,
    I did not see it in the XML file, just on the Motor Tuning screen itself. Does it mean the same thing here as well ?
Also, the sim works better on a different PC here, the other was a laptop without the PPdrivers installed ... among other things.
Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »
Russ, my mistake, thought you were meaning in the xml,  pulse speed was what I was talking about, too rushed in my reading as usual ::)

Hood
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
Russ and Hood I really appreciate your time/help,

I will try disabling the plugins, brains and macro pumps and see what happens.
I don't know if it matters but I have Mach set to Max CL Mode in order to work with the Bridgeport stepper motors.
I was also thinking of loading the latest version of Mach 3; Can I just install it over the top of the version that is already installed? Or should I rename the current Mach folder and install it then copy my XML file over to the new install??

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »
Is there a reason you are using MaxCL? It is not normal but it may be needed if you are interfacing to the old Boss stepper drives, not quite sure. Max modes set pins internally and also I think act as quadrature rather than Step/Dir, so if your drives are Step/Dir then that may well be what the issue is, if your drives are quadrature then yes you will need one of the Max modes.

Regards the update, safest is to keep hold of the folder by copy and rename, that way you will still be writing the new install to your present one but if anything does go wrong then you have the copied folder to grab stuff from.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 02:48:54 PM »
Yes, I am interfacing to the old Boss Stepper Drives which are quadrature.

Here is something interesting I tried, to determine if it is noise or Mach actually sending a signal to the parallel port:

1) I disconnected all connections out of my BOB, so the BOB was only attached to the PC.
2) From the Diagnostics page I ref X, ref Y, and ref Z and record what each of the LED's for each axis are.
3) I then jogged each axis .002" (obviously this was only the screen DRO's that i jogged since the BOB was not connected to the machine) once again i record what each of the LED's states is.  
4) I then disconnected the BOB from the PC.
5) Clicked Ref X, Ref Y, and Ref Z.
6) Reconnected the BOB and the LED's have Changed state to the same state they where in after step 2.
So I am positive Mach is sending signals to the Axis even though homing is disabled on these axis.
I can bring an Oscillascope home from work and connect directly to the parrallel port pins and verify this but I am positive I will see the same result, that for some reason mach sends a signal to the axis port pins when ref'd even when homing is disabled.  If it is noise then it would have to be internal to the PC, there is no chance I could fix that!! :(  Although a new PC would be nice!! :)

I am running mach3 2.0 version R2.63

I am going to install the latest version and see what happens.

Thanks again,
John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
Ok well that may well be the issue as I have no idea how Max CL mode works. I am almost positive that configuring things in Ports and Pins has no effect so possibly Max CL mode  is expecting all axis to have home switches so Mach is moving the axis regardless of whether switches are fitted or not.
Hood