Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:03:16 PM

Author Topic: Setting feed rates  (Read 11451 times)

Setting feed rates
« on: November 19, 2006, 11:36:53 PM »
In the Mach2Mill manual 6.2.5 RE: feed control family the the first part 6.2.5.1 states' using the F DRO speed as actual rate" but the speed rate will be less than the DRO setting if the maximum permitted speed is set. Where is the maximum speed set? If the setup in the feed control family is set (figure 6.7) as the units/min set to 1.00. does this mean the feed rate will be 60IPM? Subsequently if we put a F 200 in a G program line will it default bake to the 60IPM when runing the program?  We have this problem and are not sure how to correct. It appears that the  Feed Override (6.2.5.4) G code could be used but it would require care to not exceed the required cutting speed.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Setting feed rates
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 07:06:19 AM »
What version of Mach are you running?
The max feedrate is set in motor tuning. (Velocity)
If you enter a f value higher than the velocity is set it will only run at the velocity set in motor tuning.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:16:42 AM »
Hi technicrdd,

the maximum speed the motors can run are set up under config, motor tuning,at least that's the way I set mine up in mach3.
 So if you set up your x motor to go 30 inches per minute, then even if your g code is f50, the motor will max out at 30ipm's.and mach will keep track of the correct distance it travels, even if the program wants  to run faster.
  If the unit/min set to 1 , the feed rate will be 1 inch per minute, (very slow.) When trying out new motors, start at 5 or 10 unit/min and keep increasing it until it starts faulting (missing steps) , then back that speed back 10%, to give you a reasonable speed that doesn't keep faulting every time you rapid across the mill.
Hope this helps,
Glenn
  Ah, Chaoticone beat me to it, while I was typing but here's mine for what it's worth  :P
Don't assume anything.....it'll make a Manager out of U and Me!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »
We are running Mach2 ( Waiting for Mach3 postprocessor from the machine builder) The G code is from BobCad/ Via BobCam, the speed can also be set in the CAd program. We usually have to modify the preamble as some of the G code lines are not correct.  The motor tuning directions are not completely clear in setting up our machine (CNC Shark) TNX
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »
Got into the motor tuning setup and changed the settings, have running speeded up, took a few tries to get what we need.  Once into the setup it starts to make sense.......  Now if we can get the limit switches working.....TNX Guys