Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 03:20:31 PM

Author Topic: Use knee & quill as coarse & fine Z axis position on CNC mill?  (Read 10011 times)

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Use knee & quill as coarse & fine Z axis position on CNC mill?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 02:14:01 AM »
Hmm...  You couldn't do a fine and a course, but you sure could move them together!  Geared to where the quill retracts and the knee drops to raise the Z and vise verse.  You could implement it all in the GalilInit.txt file that the plugin sends to the controller upon init.  This file should home the quill, home the knee, and then gear them together at a ratio where each reaches it's travel limit at the same time.  Brilliant Nosmo!  Mach and the plugin need not know a thing. 

GalilInit.txt file:  A file where, if it exists in the plugin directory, it's contents are sent to the Galil line by line upon plugin initialization (When Mach is started).

Steve
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
The Gearing command is what I use with  Galil for implementing threading on the lathe, the spindle encoder engages the Z axis.
There are new commands in Galil which will allow Z axis to engage while the spindle is rotating enabling the inevitable catch up required by the Z.
Nosmo.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 01:45:48 AM »
I don't find any reference to GaliIlnit.txt in GalilPlugIn.pdf. Is it, and its format, documented somewhere?

While I still like the idea of coarse and fine for knee and quill, the geared concept would be very workable, and I really like the idea of not having to add yet another step in the process of going from drawing to product (Post processor for the Post processor).

Also, I have been reading posts (pun accidental) by folks who have used the knee for their only controlled Z-axis and they suggest adding air springs to the knee to offset a large chunk of the weight on the screw is a help. Obviously too much spring will have a negative effect because springs can't counter the inherent inertia of that much iron.However, I like the idea of air springs if for no other reason than the potential for reduced screw wear.

Tom G.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 03:29:19 AM »
Uh...  no, there is nothing in the GalilPluginIn.pdf file about GalilInit.txt.  It's a super secret file.  :) 

There are quite a few files that will do special things that are undocumented.  They will be documented on the next plugin release.

Steve
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
O.K., I guess.....

It will probably be at least a couple of months before I'm anywhere close to my mill actually being able to make chips without my direct interaction. Hopefully, by then, creative urges and inspiration will drive the PlugIjn to its next iteration, complete with documentation that encompasses all of those magical secret files. As a system designer and integrator, I know how difficult it can be to make ones self complete the documentation on a project that is substantially complete and operable, which makes me appreciate such efforts by others a whole lot more.

We'll all be waiting with only very shallow breathing (Can't hold my breath that long).

Tom G.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
The special command files were put in version 4.3 before the release of v4.4 in an attempt to control a CNC sewing machine from Mach.  In fact, the Notify commands were put in at the same time and there is a reference to a Galil variable called SPI in the plugin documentation.  SPI stands for "stitches per inch".  :)  The Notify commands were fully tested, so that was added to the documentation.  But at the time of v4.4, the special command files were not tested and thus were not put in the documentation.  Since then, they have proved out very well though and I'll mention them if I think it will help someone.

I'm working on the 4.5 release right now.  It includes:

1. The plugin will work with either Smart Term or Galil Tools.  This should allow full Win 7 support with Galil Tools since the Smart Term PCI drivers won't work with Win 7.
2. Improved MPG functions.
3. Improved gantry slaving.
4. Improved support for the Accelera controllers making use of their performance features when possible.

Steve