Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:31:57 PM

Author Topic: polished aluminum  (Read 6077 times)

polished aluminum
« on: December 25, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »
I have seen some posts where people cut aluminum on their machines and it's clean and polished. What bit do you cut with to give it that polished look and no scratched from the cutter?

Thanks
Re: polished aluminum
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
You get a polished look by polishing using abrasive and a cloth wheel, not by cutting with a tool.  And it's a LOT of horrible, messy, unpleasant work, especially if the as-machined surface is rough!

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
What tool would at least give a not rough but smooth surface on the aluminum? Would a round nose bit be better than a 4 flute end mill?

THANKS!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
What tool would at least give a not rough but smooth surface on the aluminum? Would a round nose bit be better than a 4 flute end mill?

THANKS!!!!

It has FAR more to do with the type of cut, and the quality of the machine, and especially the skill of the operator, than the specific tool in use....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
Yo will normally get the best finish IF you follow the basic guidelines for speed feed and chipload for the tool used AND the material it is used on. Then work on when to climb or conventional mill.

Rarely will you end up with NO tool marks on low end machines.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 08:10:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies...

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 03:09:01 PM »
If milling a surface a single fly cutter will provide a better finish then say one with multiple cutters. Of course other replies apply.
RICH
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 03:16:57 PM »
My brother has a drag race car. He wants me to engrave his valve cover but wants a really nice polish to the aluminum.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »
Assuming your machine is up to the task, as mentioned above, 3-flute carbide end mills designed for aluminium work best. They have very sharp cutting edge and milling on the side I can get very smooth surface seeing my own reflection. Using a good cutting oil helps a lot with aluminium to get a good finish.

Dan
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 03:23:27 PM »
Not sure if my machine is really up to the task. I am going to practice on a flat piece of aluminum and see how that comes out. next pay day I will order a couple of the bits mentioned here in the thread and give it a go when they arrive....

THANKS