Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:47:11 AM

Author Topic: Why does my A axis motor not work?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline gjp

•  9 9
    • View Profile
Why does my A axis motor not work?
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
Hello,

I am having a problem which could be either hardware or software.  My CNC is a 4 motor set up (X&A, Y, Z) running on a Rockcliff board.

Currently the X, Y, and Z motors work, while the A axis motor does not.  I even hooked the motor up directly to the Rockcliff board to test it.  However, when I check the trim pot voltage on each of the 4 axes, each one reads 2VDC as they should.

The Keling motor does work, in fact, we went ahead and ordered a new one (only $40), before discovering that the motor wasn't the problem.  (It is probably a good idea to have a spare on hand, so I don't mind the expense.)

I am not an expert on how the Rockcliff boards work, but ours appears to be normal, yet the A motor does not function.  I am also posting this message to the Rockcliff forum to get help there.

Is there something I did in Mach3 to cause the A axis to not work properly?  Is there something I can test to find out?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Why does my A axis motor not work?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »
Try swapping the pin assignement in Mach from X to A and vice versa and see if the problem stays wit the same drive/motor or swaps.
Hood

Offline gjp

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
I swapped the pin assignment and there was no change to the system.

My healthy hunch is that is a problem with the driver board.  I am hoping someone from Rockcliff will assist me in diagnosing what is probably a problem with the board.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »
Next thing to try is swap the drives if it is possible.
Hood