Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:17:47 PM

Author Topic: Tutorials?  (Read 4161 times)

Tutorials?
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:44:38 AM »
Hi Guys,
I am very new to the participation in the cnc world- but I know what it is and understand some of the basics. But, I am very newb and using the demo version for now. I just finished building my cnc machine and I am sort of stuck right now.

I am looking for some tutorials on getting started. The information in the pdf is very long and drawn out. I have been able to get everything calibrated just about dead on (off 1/64 in y over 17"- which is fine for now)

So I got the machine built, router mounted, mach3 demo installed, communication established between the hardware and software, machine calibrated, and can run gcode roadrunner in the air/with out a piece of wood

but after that I am stuck and I didnt find what I am looking for in the forums or pdf (but I didnt finish reading it)

I have a piece of 1/16 cardboard I was testing the roadrunner pattern on but I am not sure exactly what to do next, haha. I know how to run the gcode but what about setting up the tablespace and working media? Is there a tutorial on that? I didnt see settings like "setup workspace" , "setup table space." So, I drop z down to touch the cardboard and run the gcode.. the z goes down about an 8th of an inch and it draws the first line... raises up about 3/8 and continues the pattern... so I just end up with a single line of the roadrunner.. I'm doing something wrong >_<

Any tutorial links would be very helpful.. and an easy place to find them would be great.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 04:41:21 AM »
Hi Talan,

I am sorry you have not yet received an answer to your question.

I think that the best tutorial is probably 'hands-on' practical experience, provided you don't use your best cutting tool and you choose a soft material such as the hard model making foam you really can't do much harm and I am sure you will learn fast. Not sure why you should have that problem with Road Runner but you could try Sam's Wile E Coyote here http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12140.0.html I have run this a few time without problem.

If you have any specific problems or issues please post them under the General section where they will get the most exposure.

Good luck.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:57:19 AM »
Thank you for the reply! You are right on all accounts there.. Just playing around and stummbling on things has been a great learning method. While it isn't the fastest way to jump in to using the software it has been benificial. I am using some foam sheets to test with and have been able to get it to cut 500lines of the roadrunner file. I think my issue I have with the roadrunner (and will have with any future file) is that my Z isn't setup correctly in the settings... That and I don't yet fully understand how to setup before starting the gcode. I'll get it eventually, I am sure!

thakns again!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »
Talan,

Pleased to hear you are making progress.

The Z axis is usually set by touching the tool to the surface of the work then zero the Z Axis DRO. Initially I used a thin piece of paper to set this Z Zero but now have moved on to a Touch Plate and using the auto tool zero function.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »
I discovered what was causing my issues with the Z axis- I needed to reverse the direction... and I think that by chance I got the rest right... so now everything seems to be cutting and I am surprised at how accurate and repeatable the cuts are. This is very exciting

I have to thank you again,Tweakie, for answering my questions and helping me figure Mach3 out.