Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:57:22 AM

Author Topic: Turn on an Output? Shamefully simple?  (Read 6390 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Turn on an Output? Shamefully simple?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »
Ok no probs with that, well as long as you keep at arms length from me, dont want to catch anything ;D
Seriously though, have you measured the voltage when trying to operate the coil? I am guessing it will be zero. Sounds like the output just isnt supplying the current its meant to be. Dont have any experience of the G100 . Do  you need to supply its I/O with power and if so is it possible the supply you have is not up to the job?

Hood
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:01:25 PM »
are you using the bob to sink or source the relay
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »
The g100 comes with a wall wart that powers it and supposedly uses that to push up to 100mA on the outputs, but perhaps the wall wart is barely hangin on.   It has an alternative 24vdc input, I'll unplug the wallwart and use a bench supply on the alt power input to see if I get better performance that way...
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
I was using it to source, but that may have been dumb...
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »
most outputs sink more current than source.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 11:32:32 PM »
At first blush that appears to have been it.  Although the documentation I have indicates the G100 can "drive" an output such as a relay with up to 100 mA, it appears it is much more suited to sinking than sourcing.  I successfully toggled a relay with the software button I made by placing the relay inline between a stand alone 12VDC benchtop power supply and one of my output pins.  In "Ports and Pins" I set that Pin # to "Active High" and when hitting the button the pin's activity light comes on and the relay fires. 

Once again this forum rocks!