Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:58:13 PM

Author Topic: Can I pick somones brains for some advice....  (Read 2617 times)

Can I pick somones brains for some advice....
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunatley Project Hurco got shelved :(  But I am looking at getting a Lumen Lab's router kit to satisfy my need for CNC milling/playing....

Anyway I rescued the CNC4PC interface board and a couple of rotary encoders so thought Its time I put them to good use.

Im making a fixture for measuring the profiles on Automotive Cam lobes.

Basically a driven chuck which turns the cam and a linear encoder ro record the data.

So Id like some advice from those that know far more than me about the best way to approach it.

Im think I need some VB code that looks for the rotary encoder on the chuck moving and when it does writes the positions of both this and the linear encoder to a text file so they can be opened in another software package for the data to be analysed.

Is it possible (im fairly sure it should be)

Is this the best way or is there a wonderful wizard/function that I can use without getting my hands too dirty in coding?

(and yes Mach 3 is overkill but eventually a linear axis can be added so the probe moves automatically from lobe to lobe for real lazy measuring)

Also, does anyone know how to read the output of a Mitutoyo or cheap chinese dial guage as this will save me having to get a linear encoder for the lift measurements....

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Can I pick somones brains for some advice....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:02 PM »
Matt, Mach does not make a good data aquisition unit(;-).

(;-) TP