Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:35:01 PM

Author Topic: Strange Warning Message  (Read 6950 times)

Strange Warning Message
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:45:29 AM »
Hi, I just installed a Smooth Stepper in My mill, and when I start the Mach3 up, I get a warning message that reads:  Port 1 Pin 2 is assigned 2 times,
Port 1 Pin 3 is assigned 2 times, etc.  One line for each of the outputs I am using, pins 2 through9.  I de-selected the parallel ports in the ports and pins section but the message persists.  What does it mean?  Otherwise than that, the unit looks to work perfectly.  Don

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Warning Message
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »
You seem to have these port/pins assigned more than once for different funtions and the SmoothStepper is telling you. For example you may have port 1 pin 2 set for an axis and then may also have it set for another output.

Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:16:41 AM »
If you attach your XML we'll have a look.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:07:09 AM »
I'm having trouble identifying the XML file in the Mach3 folder.  Please help.  The XML Backups are xb__ file extensions and can't be uploaded.  ??? Don

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:56:50 AM »
It is not in the xmlbackup folder but rather in the main Mach3 folder. It will be the name of the profile you are using and unless you have changed the file options to show known extensions you will not see it as .xml. So probably best to change that in windows, at the top go to Tools then Folder Options then View and scroll down the list a bit and take the check out of Hide Known extensions.
You should now see the xml extension.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »
I think I've got it now. 
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »
Is it OK to clean out the XML Backups folder?  There seems to be a lot of files in there.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 04:48:27 PM »
Ok just as I thought, you have outputs 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 all with Port 1 and pin numbers that you are already using for your motor outputs, you cant have that. Do you actually use the outputs?

As for the backups, yes you can clear them if you wish but make sure you have a real backup saved somewhere, preferably on another drive or even another computer.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »
I'm a little confused.  Are you saying that I don't need to use the output signals? Or the Motor outputs?  The motor outputs select the step and direction pins I'm using.  I've never quite understood what the "Output Signals" did.  Do I need them? Or can I disable the 8 that I'm not using.  Pin 1 is used for the coolant pump relay, but I don't use it yet for fear of causing a flood on the floor...  Thanks, Don

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 05:03:29 PM »
You dont need the outputs unless you are using them for things such as coolant or vacuum or.............
The motors obviously need to be set up but that is done on the Motor Config page  like you have already done. If you need outputs (other than motor ones) then you will need to use pins and ports that you have not already used.
Hood